Sump Design

Mickey13

hey was hoping someone could look this over. sump is 60g and im not sure about the baffles heights. i want to make a high flow sump for 150g, i dont want to use ph in dt. i can split return into 2 or 3 probably hang over otherwise midtank returns with y check valves . refugium will be slower flow

sorry about my horrible drawing, i used microsoft paint so dimensions are not accurate

SPtCpe1.png

You don't want any powerheads in a 150G tank?
Expect failure.. Very bad plan IMO.
Quite inefficient/expensive too..

As to your sump.. The 1" openings are unlikely to be really sufficient for the flowrates you require.. 1.5" will be better.
Are you aware that you will need a minimum of like 4500GPH flowing through the sump if you want anywhere near typical aquarium flow rates? Usually the vast majority of that is powerheads and only a small portion is required through the sump..
Besides that its just a normal/typical sump layout..

Why don't you think about a closed loop system or something?
I'm assuming you just don't want to see powerheads in the tank.

Usually a sump will run around 1/2 full.
This allows for drain down when the pump shuts down.
THIS should be the main factor on deciding baffle height.

In my mind yes.
Do you have any idea how much water drains out yet?
Returns need to be high in the water for minimum flow back & should also include a siphon break hole.

In my mind yes.
Do you have any idea how much water drains out yet?
Returns need to be high in the water for minimum flow back & should also include a siphon break hole.

no I haven't drilled out the returns yet. I may even do hang over returns. I planned on doing a C2C drain, so I'm thinking returns may be below that or on the sides of I need to go higher up.

right now the tank I'm moving over is a 75g fowlr, but it's really stocked so idk if I'm ever going to have good enough water quality to add corals. I mean that is the goal but I'm not convinced I can do it.

Back