Sump return pump - head loss

f UNit

Hi there,

Tonight im going off to buy the bits and pieces i need for setting up a sump in the stand of my 40gallon tank, and I need some clarification on a few things here....

First off, Im planning on having a flow rate of about 5x main tank through the sump, (so roughly 200gph).

The vertical distance is going to be 40 inches.

I dont really understand this business about headloss, but would a return pump of about 350gph provide the flow rate that I want???

Cheers,

F

Hmm, try using the calculator on the main RC page. It's fairly accurate IMO. I relied on that when I set my tank(s) up.

Head is the resistance to the flow of a pump...every turn, every ft of pipe or tubing even a straight through fitting or valve all these things cause friction & causes resistance to the flow of the pump. You also have hydrostatic pressure which is the weight of the water for every foot of elevation...one foot of water exerts .4333 lbs of pressure at the pump which is more resistance. Salt water weight will be different.

Unless you want to do a whole lot of math I would use the calculator provided on this site.

It depends on the pump - some manufacturers have different model pumps rated at almost the same gph @ 0' head, but one might have double the gph at 4 or 6'

Best to pick a pump brand you like and check the maker's specs @ 3'. Tthough these specs are sometimes not avail on the manuf website, often times retailers will have it on their's.

Back