Sump ?

Lorenz725

I am setting up my sump in the basement for my 150 gallon reef. So I am going to have the 2 drain lines run into a 40 B sump that will have my skimmer in it and also my heaters then I want to drill the 40 B on the one end and have it drain into my 100 gal Rubbermaid. So do I just drill 2 holes about 3/4 of the way up the side of the 40 B and put in 1" bulkheads and then have it drain into the Rubbermaid? Also I want to set up a 29 gal fuge. I want to have it fed from the Rubbermaid by a MJ 1200. How many holes should I drill and what size bulkheads should i put in it? Thanks for the help!!!!!
Charles

I am setting up my sump in the basement for my 150 gallon reef. So I am going to have the 2 drain lines run into a 40 B sump that will have my skimmer in it and also my heaters then I want to drill the 40 B on the one end and have it drain into my 100 gal Rubbermaid. So do I just drill 2 holes about 3/4 of the way up the side of the 40 B and put in 1" bulkheads and then have it drain into the Rubbermaid? Also I want to set up a 29 gal fuge. I want to have it fed from the Rubbermaid by a MJ 1200. How many holes should I drill and what size bulkheads should i put in it? Thanks for the help!!!!!
Charles
Ok... sorry... I am not getting it. So you have a 40B for a sump, 29G for a fuge... so what is the 100G Rubbermaid for again?

Spacey :D

Sorry I know it might get confusing. The 40 B was the sump that used to be under the tank. I want to still use it because I will be able to keep a good water level for my skimmer and it has a bubble trap. I am going to put about 200lbs of LR in the Rubbermaid so I can have less LR in the main tank to open it up. The 29 fuge is going to also act as a frag tank. Hope that might clear it up a bit I am just trying to find the best way to make it work.

Sounds interesting. I would think you could be very creative with your plumbing.

Think about it twice, cut/drill once

I'm going to end up going to my basement also. Logistically for me it would be easy, however I"m not ready for an even bigger return pump yet- I don't want to loose that much head pressure now.

Sorry I know it might get confusing. The 40 B was the sump that used to be under the tank. I want to still use it because I will be able to keep a good water level for my skimmer and it has a bubble trap. I am going to put about 200lbs of LR in the Rubbermaid so I can have less LR in the main tank to open it up. The 29 fuge is going to also act as a frag tank. Hope that might clear it up a bit I am just trying to find the best way to make it work.
Gotcha... clear as mud now LOL... any reason you are not going to just use the Rubbermaid bin as both LR depository / bio filter and a fuge at the same time? Would simplify things, has enough volume and sort of makes sense no?

Spacey :D

Yeah I thought about adding a deep sand bed in the Rubbermaid and having the LR in there and putting a light over it and keeping cheto in it. Or do you think I should leave out the deep sand bed? I am starting the build this week so I am open to any ideas. I just thought an extra 29 gallons of water would not hurt.

What ever you do, make sure when the power shuts off, that there is enough capacity in the sump for all the rushing water above the DT overflow and in that long run of pipe. I would think you would want the DT to overflow into the 200 gallon rubbermaid and then have that feed whatever else you want. Something like a Reeflo Hammerhead would work for the return pump.

Yeah I thought about adding a deep sand bed in the Rubbermaid and having the LR in there and putting a light over it and keeping cheto in it. Or do you think I should leave out the deep sand bed? I am starting the build this week so I am open to any ideas. I just thought an extra 29 gallons of water would not hurt.

FWIW- I purposefully don't have any DSB in my sump, or in my tank.

I have lots of LR in my DT, all along the back wall.
I only have a PS and chaeto basket in my 50g rubbermaid sump, (in the stand).

When I test, of take some water to the lfs, my nitrates are usually always 0.

FWIW

Run it all into the 100g tank put in the dsb return pump in a weighted down small tote to keep sand and such out put your skimmer on the other end of the tank in the middle put in some eggcrate then stack in your LR add another section for frags and a section for macroalgae my 10k hamilton grew my corals and chaeto like crazy

Back