Sunpods Whats The Deal With These Guys

raymond4133

http://cgi.ebay.com/Current-72-SunPod-3X150W-14K-HQI-24-Lunar-Light-Legs_W0QQitemZ7733309955QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here's the link on ebay....

So what's so great about these lights.....There looks like alot of hype for this light.....it even says that they are brighterr than most 250 watt metal halide....what a 150 watt being brighter than a 250 watt....

does anyone have these Sunpods....

isnt just as good to buy 3-150 watt HQI retrofit or 3-175 watt Mogul base retofit instead of a full fixture....What makes these much better....

Supposidly electronic ballast do allow the bulb to produce a higher lumen. So the 150W electric ballast could produce as much light as a 250W+magnetic ballast. It's a neat package, comes with timer too.

I was under the impression that magnetic ballasts push out more light an electronic.
I think what they're trying to say is that this is an 150w HQI vs a 250w non-HQI - since I thought HQI usually puts out more lumens than non-HQI.
Then again, I'm not 100% sure.

If you look at Sanjay's tests, there is no definite winner in the electonic vs. magnetic debate. The magnetic HQI ballasts tend to put out more light, but at the price of bulb life. In most casts the PAR output for a 150W DE bulb/ballast combo is comparable to a 175W SE bulb/combo.

Of course, the reflector also matters.

magnetics drive the bulb harder, hotter, and therefore brighter- but burn through them quickly- like roughly 8-10 months - but it varies

the qoute is most definitly related to 150DE vs. 250SE- but even with that- there is not enough evidence to support it- its mostly marketing terminology just get you hyped up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6991332#post6991332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XeniaMania
no...magnetic ballasts get hot and aren't as efficient.

But that has nothing to do with the brightness of the bulb.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6990893#post6990893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XeniaMania
Supposidly electronic ballast do allow the bulb to produce a higher lumen. So the 150W electric ballast could produce as much light as a 250W+magnetic ballast. It's a neat package, comes with timer too.

Can you show us some data on that?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7016443#post7016443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XeniaMania
No, which is why I said 'supposidly" It's what I've heard but not sure of.

I actually think it's pretty widely accepted that an electronic ballast of equal wattage will not produce as much output as a magnetic ballast.
I also believe most people feel they are more efficient and run much cooler.
My BlueWave (icecap) electronic 250's barely get warm, but the Hamilton magnetic I use on another tank gets so hot you can barely touch it.

Back