Sunscreen killing reefs

I cant say im really surprised to hear it, It just took one person to think of it. I can only imagine how much of it is actually in the water with the huge amount of beach goers.

That can not be good, seeing as millions of people go into the ocean every year the when wearing sun screen the corals must be doing worse than we thought.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12886241#post12886241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roblack
We will probably find out sunscreen kills people too.
Maybe, but we definitely know that melanoma kills people.

You guys ever go to the beach on a bad day and see that nasty foam that looks like skimmate? That's because the ocean has its ow way of skimming out undesireables. If the sun screen were a big problem it would likely get skimmed out, but I could be wrong.

Obviously the ocean is not skimming everything bad out, despite the foaming. Scottras, I was joking. LOL!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12899533#post12899533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roblack
Obviously the ocean is not skimming everything bad out, despite the foaming. Scottras, I was joking. LOL!

Fair enough you just can't tell sometimes. I know a few people who actually believe that sunscreen might be bad for you so they do not use it. Fair enough it could be, but those same people always have a natural tan. Not the smartest tools in the shed.

these days sunscreen companies are putting in nano-particles into their stuff and some people suspect it might not be to healthy as it is un-known how exactly these particles will react on and in our bodies over time, so those people might not be so dumb.

2 skin cancer surgeries later, I don't leave home without it but even my dermatologist is confounded with the new stuff coming on the market.

You think this is bad for coral? Take a look at the article in the latest digital version of FAMA magazine on coral collection for jewelery and look at the beautiful coral that was just ripped up. http://www.fishchannel.com/fama_portal.aspx
There is also some good articles on a coral farm and unusual tank designs so it is worth checking out but I decided to change my avatar for a while, based on what I researched after seeing the article.

Back