Super Glue for Fragging

You want to use a cyanoacrylate based super glue. This is usually one of the "gel" type superglues. But always look on the tube/box to be sure--it always says it.

If I buy a normal super glue that we usually buy are they good or not ?

I dont understand what is the 'cyanoacrylate ', is this have to be written on the super glue ?

Thanks

yes cyanoacrylate will be written on the tube. make sure it also says GEL. if you use the regular thin stuff, you will get it everywhere. trust me i already tried that once.

just the coral, pick ou the spot in the tank and start gluing. it will setup withing 15sec. so you need to hurry.

Your super glue won't hold a leather very well to a rock.

What I would do is take your leather and your frag rock.. dry them off a little with a towel. Then add a little bit of super glue gel and glue the leather down. Then take some regular old yarn and tie the leather down to the rock. Not too tight that you will cut the leather in half, but not too loose that it will float away.

What does cyanoacrylate means ?
The super Glue that I found at the back of it there was written cyanoacrylate and says that is dangerous if contacted with eyes etc.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6952837#post6952837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoMMaNdeR
What does cyanoacrylate means ?
The super Glue that I found at the back of it there was written cyanoacrylate and says that is dangerous if contacted with eyes etc.....

That's just the chemical name for superglue. That's all. And yes, be sure to get the gel version. I too found out the hard way that the regular stuff gets EVERYWHERE. BTW, this is good for stony corals, not softies.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6952921#post6952921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoMMaNdeR
Why super glue is not good for softies ?

If not what glue is good for softies ?

Generally softies give off too much mucus, slime, whatever you want to call it. Use the method suggested by xtrstangx, with or without the superglue.

Will the gel product bond rock to rock (some of my frags are already on small LR pcs). I don't need it to hold up the Empire State building, just small and med sized hard and soft corals-rock to rock and one slightly larger rock. I have tried a very expensive marine AQ stick that you nead in your hands and use underwater and was very ****ed when my $20 glue didn't work! Thanks
BB

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6966070#post6966070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brad Black
Will the gel product bond rock to rock (some of my frags are already on small LR pcs). I don't need it to hold up the Empire State building, just small and med sized hard and soft corals-rock to rock and one slightly larger rock. I have tried a very expensive marine AQ stick that you nead in your hands and use underwater and was very ****ed when my $20 glue didn't work! Thanks
BB

Using the epoxy in combo with the superglue gives much better results. In a nutshell: Remove frag from water. Pat dry area to be glued with paper towel. Knead small amount (or larger for larger pieces) of epoxy (I use Aquamend from HD, love it). Add superglue GEL to frag. Squish this end into the epoxy ball. Add superglue gel to the opposite side of the epoxy ball. Place back into water and squish this opposite end onto a detritus/algae free area of live rock. Note the superglue gel will form a skin when it hits the water, so it shouldn't go anywhere. Hold in place for 15 seconds...longer if a large piece, or at an angle.

hth

For softies I usually use toothpicks. Just skewer the sucker and jam the toothpick into a rock. After a couple weeks pull the toothpick out, the coral will heal up just fine.

I did this for the first time yesterday. Had a floating mushroom in my tank. Found a tiny rock on the bottom of the tank and used it. The mushroom already had some small rock particles attatched to the bottom of the mushroom, so i just dried off the bottom of the mushroom and the rock and applied a few drips of super glue "gel". Only took a few seconds to dry and put rock in the tank. Everything worked great. Good Luck

Back