Super high phosphates, help!

just curious, the high phosphates, is it causing issues in the tank, hair algae, cyanobacteria? How accurate is the Salifert test kit? Between 1.0 and 3.0? FWIW I am bringing a neglected overgrown SPS tank back to life. I have hair algae and had cyano pretty much everywhere and out of control. So if you are not having serious issues with the tank(s) I would get a second test on the phosphate levels. Plus if you are going to start dosing lanthanum chloride I would invest in a hanna checker or an accurate PO4 test kit. I don't know maybe the Salifert kit is accurate. I know the Hanna is not consistently accurate but i feel it is close enough to lower phosphate with lanthanum to under 0.1. I have been slowly dripping diluted lanthanum directly into the skimmer. I did notice the lanthanum precipitated and stuck to the acrylic on the skimmer and made the cup foggy. I dont care but other may and a sock would be better option for them

just curious, the high phosphates, is it causing issues in the tank, hair algae, cyanobacteria? How accurate is the Salifert test kit? Between 1.0 and 3.0? FWIW I am bringing a neglected overgrown SPS tank back to life. I have hair algae and had cyano pretty much everywhere and out of control. So if you are not having serious issues with the tank(s) I would get a second test on the phosphate levels. Plus if you are going to start dosing lanthanum chloride I would invest in a hanna checker or an accurate PO4 test kit. I don't know maybe the Salifert kit is accurate. I know the Hanna is not consistently accurate but i feel it is close enough to lower phosphate with lanthanum to under 0.1. I have been slowly dripping diluted lanthanum directly into the skimmer. I did notice the lanthanum precipitated and stuck to the acrylic on the skimmer and made the cup foggy. I dont care but other may and a sock would be better option for them

The high phosphates aren't causing any issues in the tank, other than the algae film that builds up on the glass. I have also noticed a reduction in coralline algae growth. I want to decrease the algae film, build up my coraline algae on the rocks, and would like to try to keep some of the more difficult lps. The phosphate kit has an expiration of 12/2020 and I purchased it about a month ago. The reason for my range of 1.0 -3.0 is because that is how the Salifert test kit's chart is (my sample is darker than the 1.0 color, but lighter than the 3.0 color). My guess is that I am around 2.0.

Back