Suspect MgCl Source of Lithium?

AgentSPS

Chronic elevation of lithium levels has been a common experience for many of us. While even high levels (4-5 times NSW 200) appear to be fairly benign from what research I have done thus far (just from toxicity level perspective), I have my suspicions and concerns. Wondering what your experiences are.

I have a 300G SPS tank and a 35G LPS tank. I have been relying on Triton testing over last 4 months. Focusing on the SPS tank, the Li levels did the following:

Jan 18 495
Mar 18 687
Apr 18 1031

Sources?

Most people would point to salt mix first. I use Tropic Marin Reef Salt. Anecdotally I have heard it tests within range of NSW for Li. I was doing a lot of water changes between Jan and Mar testing (10% every other week) in attempt to lower Li and some other elevated levels. I stopped water changes after Mar testing.

For Ca I rely on Ca Reactor and also run kalk reactor. Fairly regular use of Bulk Reef Supply high purity sodium bicarbonate. I have cut back on trace elements in recent months. Limit to Elos Amino's and Pro Skimmer with occasional top up of Strontium and Iodide (ESV). I have used MgCl for top up of mag between the Mar and Apr testing. If I recall, it was roughly 16 oz. The MgCl mixed pretty dirty with a brown silt forming at the bottom. Makes me think it was not lab generated but mined. Whence why I am thinking there could be Li in it.

Other than the MgCl, any other ideas where I should be looking for source of Li?

Send a batch of fresh-mixed salt to ICP if you want to know for sure. I would also suspect the salt mix.

Send in any of your supplements for ICP testing too. The brown crud is almost certainly not an indication of lithium salts. Lithium salts are usually quite soluble in water. I would suspect it is coming from whatever trace elements you were adding.

Send in any of your supplements for ICP testing too. The brown crud is almost certainly not an indication of lithium salts. Lithium salts are usually quite soluble in water. I would suspect it is coming from whatever trace elements you were adding.

Thanks. I wasn't suspecting the silt had anything to do with Li. I think it's indication this is naturally occurring salt that was mined and not lab created. Therefore suspect it's contaminated with Li. But just theory.

Also I have all but stopped trace elements. Despite, lithium levels increasing at accelerated rate.

Thanks. I wasn't suspecting the silt had anything to do with Li. I think it's indication this is naturally occurring salt that was mined and not lab created. Therefore suspect it's contaminated with Li. But just theory.

Also I have all but stopped trace elements. Despite, lithium levels increasing at accelerated rate.
any updates?

any updates?

Seems to have come down to 640 as of July through natural processes (stopped water changes). I'm pretty convinced there must have been Lithium salts in the mag salt I was using. I've long since dumped it in the trash. My reactor seems to be keeping up on the mag levels but have purchased Triton mag supplement if/when I need it. Supposedly it's lab synthesized (seems like a very loosely used term)

Back