Switching from NOPOX to Vinegar

Hitch08

I would like to switch from NOPOX to vinegar and I'm trying to figure out the correct calculation for switching. I found an older post by TMZ:

NOPOX analysis and conversions to vodka and vinegar are in this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408985&highlight=nopox

Essentially NOPOX is 6 parts ethanol to 1 part acetic acid. It also includes abut 3% methanol and some isoprophol alclohol and perhaps other small impurites . The methanol is likely added to avoid taxation as a consumable liquor.

So, each ml of NOPOX contains approximately : .15 ml ethanol(.3 @ 50% per the recipe) and approximately .025ml acetic acid(.05 @ 50%) . Total organic C is about .175 per ml; the rest is water. Total organic C for 40% ethanol vodka/80proof is .4 per ml. Total organic C for 5% acetic acid vinegar is 0.05 ml.

If I am dosing 8 ml of NOPOX per day, that is 1.4 total organic C per day. To switch to vinegar (5% acetic acid), and maintain the same level of organic C per day, I would dose 28 ml of vinegar per day?

Am I doing that correctly? Chemistry was my worst class in High School. I received a "C" and my father has a Ph.D. It didn't go over well...

:reading:

I think a factor of 3 sounds about right. I might start a bit lower, because tanks can respond differently to different carbon sources.

If l may jump this thread??? Bertoni seems the man for this.
Here in Norway l can only find 7% white vinegar. What's the maths in converting 10ml 5% to it's equivalent in 7%?

Sorry, I meant to reduce the amount by about 1/3, so 0.7 is right for the multiplication factor. There's no need to be particularly precise: the guidelines are just estimates.

Back