T-5: IC vs Tek 5

Shadowramy

In Memoriam
Reefgeeks has the ICE-CAP T-5 retro 6-bulb for $629 and TEK-5 6-bulb retro for $449. Is the ICE-CAP retro worth the extra money to get it?

The IceCap reflectors have a slight advantage over the Tek reflectors.

Also, as RobbyG said, the IceCap will overdrive the bulbs. They will be significantly brighter than the other ballasts but at the price of electricity.

I believe the IC reflectors are supposed to be about 10% better than the Teks (but I read that off the interweb thingy, so caveat lector). My next T5 setup is going to be a mixture of triad and icecap ballasts (for a balance of lighting penetration vs electricity use), all with the IC reflectors.

Dave

If I get the Tek 48" 4x54W T-5 fixture. Will that do fine for a 55gal 48x13x21? Can I do clam and such?

I also have a Sedona Canopy, but don't know if a reto will fit inside...

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00114.JPG

Thanks

Also heard that the IC reflectors are a bit easier to clean and put off about 10% more light...

It will be more than adequate and I don't think you need to put the clam up high, (Just my 2 cents) I find that the whole lighting issue is just blown way out of proportion, I have that same setup on a 90gal and 2 days out of the week I run only 2 lights for the whole day to give some variation and so far my hard corals are doing well. You go into nice clean ocean water like I have here and swim out to the nearest reef say 3 feet deep and look up with your face mask at 12 noon and the brightness of the sun hitting your eyes is not as bright as those same 4 bulbs running. I saw were some guys where saying people are cooking there corals with MH lights and I agree, now finding that T5's are even brighter it seems we are microwaving them :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6533285#post6533285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lunner
If I get the Tek 48" 4x54W T-5 fixture. Will that do fine for a 55gal 48x13x21? Can I do clam and such?

I also have a Sedona Canopy, but don't know if a reto will fit inside...

Thanks

With all due respect, our eyes cannot judge effective PAR values. Next time you go diving, take a light meter with you. You'll find your aquarium lighting at 24" isn't even half the intensity of natural sunlight at 3 meters. Ever get a sunburn on an overcast day while snorkeling? I have.

T5 HO's aren't brighter than MH's! However, they are more efficient than MH's, but can only compete with MH's with water columns up to 20-24 inches in depth.

RE: overdriving T5's.... Overdrive them and i'd bet you cut their life-span in less than half.

T5 HO tubes are stated to last 18-24 months... approximately. This is NOT a life-span for usage on reef tanks, this is plug-in thru burn-out or flicker life-span. For reef-usage, they'll keep their coral loving colors for 12-14 months.

Check out this guy's T5 HO lit tank, it's incredible.

Iwan's T5 HO lit reef!

well, the lifespan of t5ho tubes is a lot more than 18 months. in the aquarium field, we wont usually wear a bulb out. you would need to use that bulb for 2-3 years at least to burn a bulb out.

even on my hard start workhorse ballasts, i have no signs of wear from hard starts and its been over a year now.

if you overdrive them, i would change them out after 1 year.. but, the funny thing is, most reef keepers will change the bulb out every year regardless of overdriven or not.

the icecap reflector is 10% better than the tek at a close distance to the bulbs.

par measurements from deeper in the tank ( i think 1 foot)show that the tek is 20% behind the icecap

now for another interesting fact, the aqualux computer designed reflectors perform as well as the icecap for a fraction of the price.

i got my entire 3x39w t5ho retro with 2 ati blue bulbs, one ge 6500k and all waterproof endcaps, ballast, 3 reflectors, standoffs and a power cord all delivered to my house for right around $170.

Bwilfong, i suggest you check out www.aqualuxlighting.com and see for yourself. you just need to price all the componenets up yourself, and then taht way you dont get the less effective tek units for more money than the DIY retro (thats what i call it)

GA Reef guy,
I opted for the IC reflectors and the Triad ballast from Reef Geek. I paid $163 total for a custom double 39watt T5 HO complete retro-kit. This included ballast, waterproof endcaps & standoffs, IC reflectors and (2) Geisseman tubes.

Having the IceCap $$$pricey$$$ ballast VS the Triad ballast wasn't important to me. However I definitely wanted the IC reflectors... the Aqualux's look like a much better deal w/ identical performance.

The Triad ballast is a "soft-programmed start" type ballast, which reportedly lengthens the life of the tubes.

I haven't seen the TEK reflectors in person, but looking at pictures of them, they don't appear to have that "mirror finish" like the IC's do.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6542511#post6542511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by werew
GA Reef guy,
I opted for the IC reflectors and the Triad ballast from Reef Geek. I paid $163 total for a custom double 39watt T5 HO complete retro-kit. This included ballast, waterproof endcaps & standoffs, IC reflectors and (2) Geisseman tubes.

Having the IceCap $$$pricey$$$ ballast VS the Triad ballast wasn't important to me. However I definitely wanted the IC reflectors... the Aqualux's look like a much better deal w/ identical performance.

The Triad ballast is a "soft-programmed start" type ballast, which reportedly lengthens the life of the tubes.

I haven't seen the TEK reflectors in person, but looking at pictures of them, they don't appear to have that "mirror finish" like the IC's do.

I own the 5' tek reflectors (since IC dont do a 5 footer), and I assure you that they are pretty shiney. I can't do a direct comparison until my IC reflectors arrive on Monday though.

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6542511#post6542511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by werew
GA Reef guy,

now remember, the aqualux reflectors are wider than the icecaps and the tek, but people are now figuring out that you dont need to cram as many bulbs as people first thought for a t5ho setup to work well.

yeah, i was warned on RC about the hard start of the workhorse ballasts killing the t5 tubes, but i have proven that to be wrong with a year of normal use on and off 1x a day, and many 2x a day when i do tank maintainence...

thats why the Grim reefer called me the "Official RC t5ho workhorse ballast Guinea Pig":rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6542590#post6542590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ruu
I own the 5' tek reflectors (since IC dont do a 5 footer), and I assure you that they are pretty shiney. I can't do a direct comparison until my IC reflectors arrive on Monday though.

Dave

aqualux makes them in 60" models as well

Horkn,
Yeah I agree on the whole "soft start" bulb wearNtear. I don't think the workhorse ballast's "hardstart" would hurt bulbs THAT badly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6542631#post6542631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
aqualux makes them in 60" models as well

Hmm. I may at some point have to look into that, but I only have three tek reflectors right now, with the rest IC, so I'm not too worried yet.

Dave

Back