T-5: IC vs Tek 5

GrimReefer said that if you use the IC ballast that as the lux out put diminishes it will compensate so the bulb replacement is the same.

He showed how running the IC ballast was far far more effective than adding another bulb or two.

So that is something to consider.

He also showed that the T5 kicked the MH butt all over the place, and at less cost all the way around and you get better colors and you can have reach bulb as a seperate operation so you could change light amount easily thought the month or the day even. The bulbs last 3 times longer and they use less power.

Don't forget that you can keep them 6" from the water and not have to worry about frying your corals and evaporating all your water.

Any recommendations on what ballast(s) to run 6 - 24" T5s?

Has anyone tried out the ARC brand T5 bulbs?

Andy

I keep seeing this number of 10% difference between the IC SLRs vs. the TEK reflectors. I had setup a T5 retrofit fit using IC SLRs and Triad ballasts. I then switched to a TEK fixture.

I know that Grim Reefer did a test comparing these, and I believe that is where the 10% figure has been coming from. I'm not familiar with any other tests, but IMHO the IC reflectors put out more like 25% additional light than the TEK. My tank is noticably dimmer with the TEK fixture.

Unfortunately Sunlight Supply is the only one I know of in the US that makes a hanging T5 fixture that uses individual reflectors for each bulb. I still have my IC SLRs, and I'm contemplating the idea of trying to replace the reflectors in the TEK fixture with the ICs. The ICs are wider than the TEKs, so I'd have to eliminate one of the bulbs in my hood and go with 7 bulbs instead of 8. The other option would to fold the IC SLRs so that they're a little narrower.

The problem with trying to go to 7 bulbs instead of 8 would mean gutting the hood and having to use the moistureproof endcaps.

The problem with trying to bend the IC SLRs would mean possibly losing some of their designed efficiency, which would essentially be ruining them.

I wish ATI offered their hoods here in the US, or that IceCap would create a hanging fixture using their own reflectors, or that SLS would offer an improved reflector design.

Jackson.
Re: what you mentioned about Grim said about IC ballast VS. adding another bulb or two. I have to disagree. I don't think overdriving a T5HO bulb with an overpowered ballast is going to make 1 T5HO bulb brighter than 2 T5HO bulbs that are driven with an appropriate ballast.... IF you were referring to overdriving T5HO's with an IC ballast.

Overdriving a T5HO bulb is going to change the color that the bulb emits... just for starters. 2ndly, common sense tells us it will shorten the "desirable reef color rendering" life span of the bulbs. Have you ever seen a tank with outdated bulbs running on it??? Just imagine those outdated bulbs being overdriven as well.

T5HO's kicking MH's butt all over the place? NOT. Can a T5HO penetrate a water column like MH's? NO

Do T5HO's actnic colors compare to VHO's? NO

Jackson, I'm ALL for T5HO's, they are FANTASTIC for reef keeping, but let's keep it real and not misinform others.

Me personally, i'd recommend T5HO to anyone over PC's or VHO, however MH's definitely still hold the crown. There's a catch tho, IMHO MH's STILL need supplementation.

T5HO's work great on tanks for raising ALL types of corals, of course depending on the water columns height AND where you keep your strong light craving corals.

T5HO's are extremely efficient energy-wise, and penetrate water columns significantly better than PC's AND VHO's when used with quality reflectors, 1 reflector per bulb.

T5HO's color spectrum availability is very desirable as well.

I'm just trying to keep it real... nothing more, nothing less.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6556517#post6556517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by werew
J
Can a T5HO penetrate a water column like MH's? NO

The only study I've seen comparing T5 penetration vs. MH into deep water is Grim Reefer's completely non scientific test. In his test, the T5s penetrated deeper than the 250 watt MH bulbs. This was however four 4' T5 bulbs being overdriven to 80 watts each. I have not seen or heard of any other tests comparing standard T5 HO vs MH.

Everyone agrees that T5s are more efficient. Over a 4' x 2' area you can mount 8 each T5 54W bulbs for a total of 432 watts. Over the same area you could mount a pair of 1000 watt MHs, so in this test, yes the MHs would penetrate deeper. You can mount more light wattage in the same available space.

My gut tells me that comparing MH to T5s on a watt per watt basis, would prove T5s with the proper reflectors would outperform the MHs in a penetration test if similar spectrum bulbs were used. I would also go on to guess that an 8 x 54W T5 system (432 watts) would be pretty equal to a 2 x 250 watt MH system (500 watts) if compared with similar spectrum bulbs.

Simply take a look at the nicest reef tanks in the world, and you'll see that both methods are extremely successful in tanks that are 26" tall or less. In tanks that are taller than 26", I agree that MHs are the better option.

grim's study, while pretty thorough, wasnt scientific. but it did prove that a t5ho setup can out PAR a MH setup. and its not like he had 4000 watts of t5ho...

if anyone has any doubts of what t5ho is capable of, check out some of the european reef tanks. those guys are insane about their tanks, and they will buy the best equipment for their tanks.. and its no wonder they use t5ho setups...

When I started out with reefkeeping, my research for lighting led me to check out European reef tanks because I was curious about T5's. After seeing those proven results with many years of use, my decision to go all T5 wasn't that difficult. I am extremely happy after 2 years, and my new 180 will also be all T5's. I can live without MH "glitter lines" to save energy, not use a chiller, and choose my own specific water color by mixing the bulbs....

Back