T-5 retofit or Light hood

vanceny

Getting ready to buy a setup and have not built a hood yet. I was considering these 3 options for my 75 gal:

http://reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104193.html
$309 48" Tek Light Hood

http://reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104068.html
$299 48" Tek Retrofit Kit

http://reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104434.html
$359 48" Icecap ballest

I plan on having a mixed reef. If I go with the Tek fixtures is it worth getting the retrofit kit? At a $10 difference it would be easier to get the hood and not build a canopy that could trap some heat. Otherwise, between the icecap and the tek retrofit do I need to overdrive the lamps for what I plan on keeping?

I know the lights may end up burning my softies but I plan on creating some kind of rock shelf to hide them under.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You're going to get the most light out of the IceCap setup you linked. That setup has the best reflectors you can buy, and a ballast that will overdrive your bulbs. But, do you need that much light?

Also, with the Tek setups, the retro kit puts out more light than the hood, but it's not plug and play of course. If you're not into building a canopy, just go the simple route and get the hood. If you decide later on you want a canopy, you can always build a tall one and suspend the pendant from the canopy.

Don't forget that the hoods don't come with all the bulbs or a splash guard. It came out to about $480ish with bulbs and a guard. I think you would want to get 2 aquablues and 3 blue+ to go with that, and keep the extra 2 6500k for later replacement.

Does the Tek retrofit and the hood come with different ballasts? Why do you say that it will put out more light?

Does the retorfit come with bulbs, I don't think it states that in the description. Whereas the hood comes with 3 free bulbs.

Take a look at Aqualux Lighting. Their reflectors are better than the Tek reflectors, and just a tad in back of the IceCap's. Best thing is, they are cheaper than either.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6976828#post6976828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trmiv
Take a look at Aqualux Lighting. Their reflectors are better than the Tek reflectors, and just a tad in back of the IceCap's. Best thing is, they are cheaper than either.

actually the aqualux sold CDR's are just as good as the icecap reflectors in every respect of performance. now in terms of price, they cant be beat by anyone. yes, they are wider, but 4-6 x54 of t5ho is more than adequate for anything on a 75.

when i light my 90 that iam getting, i will probably go with 5x54 of aqualux t5ho DIY retrofit. well, unless i go mh/ t5ho lighting....it all epends on price for me. aqualux wont be undersold, so i may just end up with all t5ho again on this new tank...

remember, the tek light doesnt have waterproof endcaps, now a shield, now mounting legs for that price, so its not as much of a value as it appears. it is a great unit, and if you are not good with DIY , you may be better off payting more for the teklight with the shield and legs.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6976798#post6976798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vanceny
Does the retorfit come with bulbs, I don't think it states that in the description. Whereas the hood comes with 3 free bulbs.

most likely all ge day bulbs. they work great, but you wouldnt want all day bulbs in your setup....

Reefgeek gives you a choice of "6000K Sun, 11000K Aquablue Special (60/40), Actinic/Blue Plus, and Pure Actinic 03."

Back