T5 bulbs...How long are they actually lasting?

All kinds of different answers for that. A few weeks ago, a guy from Switzerland posted pics of his tank lit by T5s and stated that he changed them every 9 months and that any longer, he noticed the growth begin to stall. I'm not saying that they won't last longer, but judging by the success of his tank, it is certainly something worth noting.

Mine are only 3 months old, so I still have quite a ways to go before I reach the point of noticing stagnated growth due to lighting degradation. I'm sure that in about two years or so when T5's have more widespread use, more information on this topic will become available to everyone.

iwan changes his every six months not nine.

Mine have been in for 9 and I am seeing slowed growth as well. Luckily the new bulbs are on hand and ready to be put in this weekend.

so far Ive had mine running for 12 months and have great gwroth. Im now having algae problems though. Im wondering if lighting is an issue there

I've been running mine for about 12 months now and not really noticing any significant difference other than that one of them failed on me a few weeks ago. I saw some data awhile ago (can't remember where) that showed the dropoff in total output at less than 20% after 24 months. I think the concern is more around the spectrum than the total output though.

Mine are at about 11 months right now. I have noticed a bit of slowing in the growth of some of my SPS. I plan on replacing the bulbs next month, and adding a4x24w to the system.

Mine will be 12 months old soon.

Does anyone know if the different spectrum bulbs have different lifespans? I seem to remember reading a long time ago that actinic bulbs need to be replaced before daylight bulbs. Don't know if that is true or not, or if I should replace my blue plus bulbs before I replace my 10000K bulbs...?

Back