T5 Only SPS reef?

Where is a link for this testing? Regardless of whether a T5 or VHO, they are a Flourescent bulb. The T5's "tech" is the same as a VHO's tech...both a "flourescent" bulb. It is the power that is ran through the bulb that makes it different (Normal Output, High Output, Very High Output). The more power ran through the bulb, the faster the phosphorous coating on the inside of the bulb breaks down and the faster the spectrum change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

I find it interesting that everyone brings up Iwan's tank in the ongoing T5 debate. Iwan does more than just give his tank light with T5 bulbs. He uses Zeovit and I think there might have been mention of using Prodibio, or in other words...feeding. The point is you take a MH bulb and a T5 bulb and they dont compare. What is the different between using VHO's on a tank and T5's? Technically there is more output with a VHO than with a HO(T5) bulb.
Why not just use VHO bulbs on an SPS tank instead of T5's?

That isnt correct. T5 give out a higher par rating at the sand then a vho.
Second iwan contributes the over growth and color of his tank to be the T5 lighting. If you look at the end of the thread after it splits, he shows his tank on MH and then T5 and he says its mostly because of the lighting. Yeah the supplements help.
Third is i have to disagree with you about MH and T5 dont caompare. Yeah MH might be britter 6 to 7 inches down, but T5 will distribute the light more evenly through out the tank. The GrimReefer did a test with a par meter and found the T5 to have more par on the sand then 2x250MH. The tank was 24 tall.
Fourth my T5 4x54 watt gave me a higher par then my 4x110 watt VHO and the they looked way better.

yes from what he said he used prodibio and zeovit.

I hate to say it but i cant find it youll have to do a search, but i read it with my own eyes.
Also the Rocky mountain reef club have some really high tech. guys who did the test with all kinds if bulb combos and MH,VHO and a high tech par meter.

Nobody ever seems to have a link. I am really interested in reading these tests. Please post if you know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8160707#post8160707 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dr. JMadscientist
Nobody ever seems to have a link. I am really interested in reading these tests. Please post if you know.

They are on here and because i dont save everything i read on here you will have to just do a search.

Dr.J what ever you name is......for someone who is supposed to be intelligent you have a very closed mind. Just because you use MH and not T5HO doesn't mean that is the indisputable "best" and the only way to light an SPS tank.

Saying VHO is the same as T5 is like saying an apple is the same as a watermelon.

Where are all your tests to prove what you are saying is correct or should we just believe you.

Here is some factual reasons why T5HO is can and has been used to light SPS tanks.

-lamp efficiency (lumens/watt) is roughly the same as metal halide lighting
-you can place the bulbs close to the waters surface.
-you can use quality individual reflectors because of the small diameter (which was next to impossible with VHO)
-heat is minimal do to heat dispersion over a lager area. yes watts is watts but just like a heat sink, heat is dispersed better over the long length of the bulb.
-They are designed for long life. In commercial use they are rated at 20000hrs in 3hr starts...you do the math.

Also I would just like to add that commerical place such as home depot and others have traded in there metal halide lighting for T5HO...what does that tell you.

Now I'm not going to say that T5HO is the best and only way to light your tank (I'll leave that to the closed minded metal halide users) but it is definitely a valid alternative.

Here is a theard with 250watt 14k aquaconnect w/ reef optics pendants putting LESS par to the sand then 4x54w T5HO's.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=732591&highlight=par+and+T5

can't we just say they both work....I mean give me a break. I think they have worked great on my 55 gallon and I only needed 4 x 54watt. The proof is in the pudding

Tank2SEPT06.jpg

dvanacker -

Not once in my threads did I say "it is the only way to keep SPS." or "VHO's and T5's are the same." Please dont put your own words into my answers.

None of your "facts" have anything to do with the topic at hand which was T5's putting out more PAR than MH bulbs.

These tests showed the T5 having more par than a 14k MH bulb. All these test are done with multiple variables which doesnt work in science. Try using a 10K MH and a T5 fixture with 10k spectrum bulbs then let's compare the numbers.

Well, I'll just jump right in here too. I'm not sure about the T5's versus metal halides just yet. I will let the experiments keep coming before I venture into that.
But, with my tank, this I do know. T5's kick the crap out of VHO's for color and brilliant sharpness. It isn't even close.
Now Doc, I know what your going to say. "Where's the proof"
Well, the proof is in my great room lighting my 375, that, until Wed., was equipped with 8-4foot 110 watt vho's to supplement mt 4-400 watt mh. Now for the supplemental lighting it is 8-4ft 54watt T5's.
When the halides go off, the bright colors of the corals light up even more. I am truely amazed at the difference.

Sorry for asking for proof...I didn't know you guys believe everything you hear.:)

I use T5 suplimentation on my MH tank as well, but I can't agree with you. I have better glow and color from my 36" VHO than I do my 36" T5. Just my opinion, though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8161005#post8161005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dvanacker
Here is a theard with 250watt 14k aquaconnect w/ reef optics pendants putting LESS par to the sand then 4x54w T5HO's.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=732591&highlight=par+and+T5

can't we just say they both work....I mean give me a break. I think they have worked great on my 55 gallon and I only needed 4 x 54watt. The proof is in the pudding

Tank2SEPT06.jpg

That tank looks very dim for 2 250phx bulbs in roIII's I run the same bulbs and pendants and my setup and previous setup was way brighter than that picture. I was also getting 22,500 lux 6 inches below the water and 10-12 at the bottom of my BB 24" tank with 5 month old bulbs.

Sorry just notice those are the t-5's in that pic . Everything eles stands .

Yup I caught that and noted it in my post above ;)

Still IMO 2x250 phx in roIII pendants are brighter than that with less pop. I have run 2 over a tank 3 over a tank and now 5 over a tank. Currently I have 9 phx bulbs running in my house. All of my tanks are percievably brighter than that setup .Just my observation.

Also I am not sure what the conversio from lux to par is but 22,500 lux 6 " under water with pendant bottom @6" is darn good for a 250 14k IMO

Thats right every tank is different. Your tank might look better but the guy down streets tank might look better with T5. So instead of say "but i cant agree with you" maybe a better responce would have in my tank....... You are intitled to your opion but since you have been on here you have seemed to think yours is right and just because there is no proof in your eyes you wont open them. In other countries that are a step above us in reef keeping T5 are as common as MH and even more common in other countries. They have great growth and are happy with the coloring. Fact when you have more bulbs you can add different spectrium bulbs to give corals the same spectium the sun gives. where MH you have one main k you are represnting. Some people have spent months doing there own research with bulb companies, threads, experts, and people who have them and would never go back. You sound happy with the MH and maybe you should prove to me they are that much better then T5. You really seem to know alot about MH and i love to learn.
I do believe everything i hear thats why i am a stud and have a pretty kick@#! tank.

I don't think T5's will light a 30" deep SPS Tank to the bottom. I have a 84" x 72" x 30" SPS Tank and I am not happy with the brightness of the T5's at all. I am running 24 x 54W ATI Bulbs all running on 660's. Not impressed at all. I must say that I think smaller tanks seem to light much better when they are not so wide (front to back). A 180 with 8 T5's lamps seem to be way brighter than I can get mine.

No, messy1messmer...it's not about proof in my eyes, it's about proof period. It is not about me thinking I am right...I just asked for these "test" that everyone refers to with no results.

After seeing corals in their natural habitat, there is no set spectrum the sun gives. They are found at all depth of the ocean and believe me...the color changes every 5 feet or so...mostly blue.

On the opposite side, I don't believe everything I hear and I, too am a stud with a kick @$$ tank.
30galnorm.jpg

I'd love to teach you about MH's. Let's start out small with this one:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020612...m/fish2/aqfm/1999/july/features/2/default.asp
...Let me know when you get to the spot that says:
By 8:00 a.m. light intensity exceeded the intensity found over a tank lighted by 400-watt metal halide bulbs

Back