T5 or VHO?

sandman12

Going to put up a 24" prop tank (probably 15g aga). Wondering wether I should go with VHO or T5's and how many bulbs? It will house mostly zoa's and softies with some easy to keep LPS and SPS (monti's). Corallife has a really cheap T5 fixture, any good? Heat will be the main issue here, a chiller is out of the question. Also it will be plumbed into my 29g which has a auto top off so Evap. from fan's isn't a problem.

Thanks
James

You could probably get some good results from either, but in terms of cost, T5 may be more efficient in the long run.

If you go T5 though I'd get something of higher quality than coralife. T5's are all about the individual reflectors. Perhaps look at Sunlight Supply Tek hoods.

Sunlight also makes a "new wave" T5 pendent for horticulture that is like 100 dollars cheaper that would work really well for a prop tank.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-T5-S...1_1/103-1209811-3751804?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

You'd just need to grab some ATI bulbs and you'd be set.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9265337#post9265337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sandman12
Looks sweet but I dunno about those reflectors....

T5's are only "good" lighting when they have individual reflectors. Like the Tek fixture from sunlight supply. With the individual reflectors each bulb puts out 300% more light. So if you get the coralife el cheapo t5 set up without individual reflectors it would be fine for softies but no sps, lps or any coral that demands high lighting or stoney coral.

I hope that helps

-Matt

Forget both and go with MH. Here is mine prop tank. I got that light at a swap for $80 bucks.

fragsetup.jpg

MH is what I have over my display and It would actually be cheaper to put over the prop tank but I'm worried about heat.

If they are plumed together it will increase surface area and decrease heat. Also you can put them on alternate light cycles to help. Helps with stabilizing the pH also.

Good Idea :). Here's where I'm at. I could put a 70w MH with a 32w PC actinic over it (same light on my display) and it would cost around $200, $140 w/o the PC. A 4 bulb tek fixture would cost me $350. Which would you go with? I guess the MH, but I'm still waiting to see if I can get the T5 whole sale.

I think I should add that I do have a 175w MH ballast set-up laying around I could use but I'm worried about heat. I also have a 29g laying around I could use for more volume....hmmm.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=32078

Best bang for the buck right there. Made by the same people that make the TEK T5 hood. Exactly the same reflectors, just intended for horticulture rather than reefing. You pay extra money just for the fancy black casing and 2 cords instead of one.

Just get some good ATI or UV lighting brand (URI) bulbs.

Perfect light for prop tank.

I will probably be getting that for my 20L (30") prop tank.

The fixture I am using is a 175 with a pair of 24w PCs over less than 7 gallons of water. IMHO, If you want to spend more money, go with the T5s. LOL

Lets do the math on that one.

Aquatraders Odyessa Metal Halide fixture made by bottom of the line MH company: $169
Replacing their crappy imported MH bulb: $60
Replacing their crappy imported PC bulbs: $40

Sunlight Supply new wave T5 hood made by Top of the line T5 company: $97
4 Top of the line T5 bulbs (2 ATI + 2 UV Brand) : $98

LOL. T5 FTW.

Arent T5s more energy efficient than MHs a well? Especially since thats what we look for when setting up prop systems is upkeep costs vs final profit(if there is one).

You can find teklights pretty cheap on ebay too, I found mine for a 75gal, after bulb price for around $400 i believe.

For softys and shrooms go with the cheapest bulb/fixture combo. You could use any type of light and get good results. Look at the replacement cost of the bulbs ant the wattage need. The cost after a few years will make one choice stand out.

Back