T5 question over a Oceanic 37 cube

Fliger

I'm setting up a LPS tank, its 24Lx20Wx22T and I would like to run T5. I see 3 good options but am unsure how these 24" bulbs run on different ballasts. I was thinking of either the Sunlight Supply Tek 4x24W or 6x24W - OR - the Icecap 4x24W retro driven by a 660. I know the 660 can really overdrive 54W bulbs, would these also be way overdriven?

Basically, is 6x24W Tek as bright as the 4x24W on an Icecap 660?

Fliger I dont think you can run 2' T5's on an IC660.
You'd have to use the TEK or a different ballast for a retro.

Well according to Grims test's the IceCap ballast's give about 33% more light that a NO ballast did. So I would say that the 4 over driven bulbs would produce as much light as 6 NO bulbs. The SLR will reflect more light also, that is proven.

So If you can use the 24" bulbs (they do say HO) from Greg, then I would say it would be as much PAR as 6 NO's. You may get able to get better spread and better color choices with the 6 bulbs tho...

I have 4 48" bulbs run by an IC 660 with no reflectors over a 18"w 90g right now, there is no lack of spread.

So really that 660 4-bulb combo can run 4x54W or 4x24W. If I want to get a bigger tank later I just buy new bulbs & reflectors? Sound right?

FWIW, you CAN run the 2'bulbs on the 660, but it really beats on 'em.

Hey doesn't ELOS make a T5 hood....

Thanks everyone. Looks like that'll be the choice then, 660 retro. I'm getting an AquaMedic Sunlight NG with 4x54W T5's and I figured somewhere down the road I wanted to remove the ballasts and run the 660. I can use it for that later.

Elos makes some T5 fixtures but they're still looking at UL stuff. Plus I don't know if getting any brighter than the Icecap combo would be good - or possible. I plan on replacing this Oceanic with the System 80, maybe by then they'll have the lighting stuff down.

Ugh, be careful..those AM fixtures don't have individual reflectors do they? The ones I've seen before haven't and are sort of poor performers...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6556176#post6556176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger
Thanks everyone. Looks like that'll be the choice then, 660 retro. I'm getting an AquaMedic Sunlight NG with 4x54W T5's and I figured somewhere down the road I wanted to remove the ballasts and run the 660. I can use it for that later.

Elos makes some T5 fixtures but they're still looking at UL stuff. Plus I don't know if getting any brighter than the Icecap combo would be good - or possible. I plan on replacing this Oceanic with the System 80, maybe by then they'll have the lighting stuff down.
Lighting stuff down? I'm offended. We have got the lighting stuff more than down. We just don't want to burn your house down........ At least not before we cover our a@# :D
Honestly, Elos Europe has been preparing to bring these lights to US for a while now. Attention was taken to use UL approved parts and the consultant taking me through this process seems to think it will go smoothly. I will have more info. after I get the test units in next week and meet with UL. Ok I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I probably have. J

24" bulbs overdriven on IC660 will get very hot. make sure they are cooled properly. I have the 39 watters overdriven and they require a fans in the canopy.

I was wondering about the IC 660 as well being used on 39watt T5s...anyone know the results on that? How much they get overdriven?

Yeah Chuck unfortunately I can't get an answer from anyone about the NG. I can't find anyone who owns one, and the pix aren't great. But I talked with AM and they said that these fixtures are their best, and they went further into detail than the other ones so we'll see. The other AM T5 fixture uses a bat like reflector for each pair. I'll LYK what I think.

LOL Jesse, not a hijack. I'm interested in your fixtures, the Oceanic I'm setting up is totally short term and I need something this week. I'm very interested to see what you have when you have it all figured out.

Back