Back after over a decade (AIO Drop in Question)

dalmat

Hello,

I'm not exactly "new to the hobby," but it's been almost 15 years, so technically I sort of am.

I can't believe I remembered my log in to these forums.

I grew up in the industry, my family has owned multiple LFS's in the Cleveland area and even wholesaled (primarily freshwater) I have been out of the business side of the hobby for almost a decade and a half now & just decided to step back in as a hobbyist.

I am In the process of setting up a 29 gallon mini reef, that I bought on Facebook marketplace on a whim thinking I was going to go Fancy Goldfish or African Cichlids. I have a lot to re-learn and a whole lot more to learn as I just dabled in saltwater the last few years in the business.

Had I pre-planned going saltwater, I'd have probably bought a 40 Breeder, but the 29 is what I'm working with.

I have some Carib Sea Life Rock being delivered soon & still trying to decide the substrate color. I painted the back of the tank black & am leaning towards the Hawaiian black sand because I like the look.

Boy has a lot changed in 14 years, especially the cost of everything.

I bought the Fiji Cube AIO drop in kit, since I can't fit a sump in the stand. It's designed to fit in peninsula style, which I really don't like.

Also, if I install it peninsula style the gaps will be too huge and I think I'll have to put in a gaudy amount of silicone. Placing it on the back of the tank will be a flatter connection to the glass and easier to silicone but will take up more frontal display area if I put it in the middle. What does everyone think about me putting it in the side like in this picture do you foresee any issues with that gap on the one side?

Also is a mini internal protein skimmer inside the Fiji Cube good or should I go with a bigger HOB skimmer?

Anyways thanks for any input.

20231201_174724.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm not exactly "new to the hobby," but it's been almost 15 years, so technically I sort of am.

I can't believe I remembered my log in to these forums.

I grew up in the industry, my family has owned multiple in the Cleveland area and even wholesaled (primarily freshwater) I have been out of the business side of the hobby for almost a decade and a half now & just decided to step back in as a hobbyist.

I am In the process of setting up a 29 gallon mini reef, that I bought on Facebook marketplace on a whim thinking I was going to go Fancy Goldfish or African Cichlids. I have a lot to re-learn and a whole lot more to learn as I just dabled in saltwater the last few years in the business.

Had I pre-planned going saltwater, I'd have probably bought a 40 Breeder, but the 29 is what I'm working with.

I have some Carib Sea Life Rock being delivered soon & still trying to decide the substrate color. I painted the back of the tank black & am leaning towards the Hawaiian black sand because I like the look.

Boy has a lot changed in 14 years, especially the cost of everything.

I bought the Fiji Cube AIO drop in kit, since I can't fit a sump in the stand. It's designed to fit in peninsula style, which I really don't like.

Also, if I install it peninsula style the gaps will be too huge and I think I'll have to put in a gaudy amount of silicone. Placing it on the back of the tank will be a flatter connection to the glass and easier to silicone but will take up more frontal display area if I put it in the middle. What does everyone think about me putting it in the side like in this picture do you foresee any issues with that gap on the one side?

Also is a mini internal protein skimmer inside the Fiji Cube good or should I go with a bigger HOB skimmer?

Anyways thanks for any input.

View attachment 32393335
I think I would just go all the way to the corner rather than have the narrow space. I've heard the black sand can have some metal particles in it - not sure if that's true.

And welcome back!

Welcome back to the hobby. We’re here to help and love to see updates/pictures. Hope you stick around.

Welcome back! I’d either move it all the way to the corner or go directly in the middle with the rock leaning against it. That’s just me though.

As for skimmers, I no longer run a skimmer full time and only use it for special occasions if necessary.

Update.

I managed to get the Fiji Cube AIO Drop in siliconed on the side & avoided the annoying gap.

My Aqua scape abilities suck, but I have two very happy Occellaris Clown's who beg for food every time I pass by & they haven't even been to n the take for 3 full days yet.

I'm going to give it at least a month before I add anymore livestock. I have a cheap Amazon LED on order to supplement the Fluval Freshwater AquaSky. I'm hoping this will be enough for a couple Zoa frags until I can really upgrade the lighting.

1000008627.jpg
1000008628.jpg

Back