T5 vs LED debate on a BOWFRONT

privitor

TC.ARK
so im setting up a 36g bowfront with a 14g sump/fug and its time to buy the light but...

I have always planned on getting a 4 Lamp T5 HO Fixture but now im finding LEDs for the same price or cheaper like the BeamWorks LED Light Lunar Double Bright

So i pose the classic T5 vs LED debate for you guys

* remember this is a 21"deep bowfront minus the 3"sand bed and its gonna house a medium reef with a mixture of hard and softs with very minimal fish.

so which would be best for me? im worried will the led have enough light penetration but will last 10% longer than an a T5 bulbs. Both have pros and cons

WHAT DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST???

Or

Or

or maybe i should go with 2- par30 5x3w reef lights suspended above the tank like pendent light???

I need help.........

I have a half circle tank that is 29" deep and AI Sols 15" above the waterline. I have no problems growing SPS on the sandbed. If that helps.

I have two kessil 150s over my 72 bow an I have a mixed reef everything is Doing well and opening up nicely

Given the two options you listed I would go with the T5 fixture. I personally do not like tanks lit by PAR type bulbs ( usually look too spotty and not very well blended, although I have seen some tanks that look great too). The T5 will blow the beamsworks LED away on that tank. The T5 will deliver more bang for your buck. I would just reccommend some ATI bulbs and you wont regret it.

I've seen the beamworks in action and they are really disappointing. There store is close to me and my Chinese LED (D120 )blows it out of the water. Only thing beamworks has going for it is the length.
Look into the evergrow LED fixture if you want a cheap LED fixture or one similar to it can be had for around $175 shipped with Custom LED configurations and dimmers. The "Chinese LED" thread here has a lot of examples I would just cruise the last 10 pages of it if you haven't already read it it's massive. JMo but stay away from the beamworks maybe for a fish only tank but def no corals again JMO and the 120watt fixture will def punch all the way to your sand. I'm running mine at 40% on a 18" tall tank FWIW.

Back