T5's or MH's for the hood...

QAScooter

I've got a few questions, but first let me give you all some background.

30 gallon tank with 2x55 PC's - One white, one 50/50

I'm going to modify the hood and move the ballast out of the hood. This will free up real estate in the hood.

So my options seem to be:
1) Add a 70w MH HQI, 10K, and change the PC's to full actinics
2) Add a 150w MH HQI, 10K, and change the PC's to full actinics
3) Add two (or more) 24w T5 HO, and change the PC's to full actinics

With options 1 & 2 I'm concerned about having to add a fan to blow across the water. Currently the tank is quiet, and want to keep it that way. No problem with heat though, since I'm only running one pump.

With option 3, I'm concerned about only 48watts of sunlight. I might (probably) will be able to put 3 or 4 -24w lights with the 2x55 PC's as actinics. And I can get two stand-alone 24w T5 HO's for $40. Lots cheaper than $145 for MH.

OK, so what kind of setup would you do if you were working with the parameters I'm working with (quiet, beautiful coloration, inexpensive, existing hood)

Thanks!

I didn't want to run a fan either, so I went with T5's. The temperature of my water stays pretty much the same, maybe 1 degree warmer with the lights on. I have them sitting about 6-8" above the water.

The T5's will be more than enough light if you use the good reflectors.

Depends on what type of coral you want to keep. lower lighting coral ( mushrooms, leathers, etc. go with the option 1. for higher lighting coral (sps or some lps) go with option 2. do you have a sump, the larger water volume can help with the heat.

The depth of your tank will help you choose your lighting intensity. Why do you want to upgrade anyway? My friend has a 45 hex (about 20" tall) that does fantastic with 2x65 PC setup. Any increase in wattage, no matter what the format, will increase the heat imparted onto the water surface. When it comes to heat, watts is watts. When it comes to light spectrum/intensity, choose the format that will give you the PAR you need and the look you want.

Back