Tail Spot Blenny or Court Jester Blenny

PollySays

I am interested in getting either a court jester blenny or a tail spot blenny for my 28 gallon reef tank. which one does everyone preffer. I would like one that is more active, not hiding all the time.

Do you mean court jester goby? They have nice color to them but require a sandy substrate
Why the sandy substrate?
Mine prefers to peck on algae growing on the LR and tank sides.

I have a court jester goby and a tail spot blenny. They go well together, both ignore each other.:celeb3:

I only have kept one of these fish. See avatar. It is one of my favorites. It sits with half his body out of a hole, then jumps out and eats algae, then backs into his hole. This repeats all day long. He is always visible, but spends more than half of the time looking out of that hole. Eats anything I put into the tank and comes to the front anytime I am by the tank.

I have a court jester goby and enjoy watching him. He's always out and about eating algae and sifting sand every once in awhile. He's a nice looking fish and goes about his own business ignoring all the other fish.

I just bought a TSB today to replace one that I lost. They are a great fish but both are fun to watch.

The first one did as naturenerd said. It would hang out in the tunnel, dart out, eat and swim to another hole and repeat all day long.

A strict number of fish doesn't make sense. 4 Trimma gobies is a wee bit different than 4 sailfin tangs. An extreme example to make a point. Also, territory and behavior are key to stocking.

A strict number of fish doesn't make sense. 4 Trimma gobies is a wee bit different than 4 sailfin tangs. An extreme example to make a point. Also, territory and behavior are key to stocking.

This is a nano tank. You are going to stock nano fish. Not a sailfin tang. So 4 nano fish. Geez....

I only have kept one of these fish. See avatar. It is one of my favorites. It sits with half his body out of a hole, then jumps out and eats algae, then backs into his hole. This repeats all day long. He is always visible, but spends more than half of the time looking out of that hole. Eats anything I put into the tank and comes to the front anytime I am by the tank.

That's weird mine doesn't sit in a hole at all! he bounces around the rocks picking at algae. he loves to sit on my monti cap :) LOVE the tailspot, such character

I bought the two clowns and a yellow watchman goby for my tank. The two clowns did great. The yellow goby didnt last the night. I acclimated them as I should but the goby just didnt last. I noticed my two cleaner shrimp jumping all over the goby when he was first put in, they were digging in his mouth. Do you think that the cleaner shrimp added to his stress which made him die? I am nervous to buy another goby from live aquaria and have it happen again, its not cheap!

This is a nano tank. You are going to stock nano fish. Not a sailfin tang. So 4 nano fish. Geez....

Okay fine. 4 ocellaris clowns.

My point is, number of fish is one of the LEAST important stocking criteria and newbies can get hung up on it. I had 10 fish in a 20H for quite some time with no aggression, no nutrient issues and no losses.

Species Behavior
Species Territory requirements
Species Bioload level
Species feeding requirements
Oxygen levels and needs
System nutrient export capacity
Tank size and shape
Maintenance Regimen
Aquascaping
Substrate type
Coral types

Those criteria/factors are all more important to successful stocking than "number of fish".:hmm5:

I bought the two clowns and a yellow watchman goby for my tank. The two clowns did great. The yellow goby didnt last the night. I acclimated them as I should but the goby just didnt last. I noticed my two cleaner shrimp jumping all over the goby when he was first put in, they were digging in his mouth. Do you think that the cleaner shrimp added to his stress which made him die? I am nervous to buy another goby from live aquaria and have it happen again, its not cheap!

You should call LA and at least let them know. They may or may not offer compensation. If you want more assurance of health along with a guarantee, try the Diver's Den portion of LA. It's the what you see is what you get section and the fish are conditioned and generally very healthy. And they guarantee them. But, again, not cheap. Do you have a good LFS in your area?

Do you have a picture of your tank?

Cheers.

Back