Talk me out of it....

A Scopas Tang will help, since hair algae is part of it's diet. Combined with manual removal, and improved husbandry practices, you will get out of this mess. Manual removal works because when you are algae, you are what you eat. Their most concentrated food source is right there in the algae.

One way to justify getting an RO/DI setup is that you can add a separate reservoir for you and your family's drinking water. It's an investment in your family's good health, as well as your tank's. Worth it.

A Scopas Tang will help, since hair algae is part of it's diet. Combined with manual removal, and improved husbandry practices, you will get out of this mess. Manual removal works because when you are algae, you are what you eat. Their most concentrated food source is right there in the algae.

One way to justify getting an RO/DI setup is that you can add a separate reservoir for you and your family's drinking water. It's an investment in your family's good health, as well as your tank's. Worth it.

Thank you!
I ordered a scopas tang and a bunch of turbo snails. They will be here tomorrow. I'm off from work because of snow so I've pulled out all the algae and now I'm scrubbing rocks in the tank with a toothbrush. I'm going to do a water change after this.

I'm so torn on the RO system, I don't have anywhere to install it without it being a major project.
We have well water, we're on top of a mountain, no contaminates. Is it just because of the minerals?
Maybe I could have it tested. It was when We built(it's only 3 years old) and everything was good. I drink it lol
I'm going to try to get into a better routine about water changes.
I was looking at my fish last night and just can't let them go... especially my engineer gobies, I love them! That and I'll lose too much money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on a well too. Your water may be fine, especially if it's a fish-only or planted tank, like mine. Get it tested to see. The thing about RO/DI is that it removes any doubt that your water is good to go. So if you're going to invest big bucks in corals, it'll give you piece of mind. Also remember, humans don't need water as pure as fish and corals do. We just drink it. We don't live in it.

I'm on a well too. Your water may be fine, especially if it's a fish-only or planted tank, like mine. Get it tested to see. The thing about RO/DI is that it removes any doubt that your water is good to go. So if you're going to invest big bucks in corals, it'll give you piece of mind. Also remember, humans don't need water as pure as fish and corals do. We just drink it. We don't live in it.

Very true. I'm going to look into getting it tested

So 5 ours of picking and scrubbing and changing water, I can see my rocks again! There's more corraline than I remember too. Gives me a boost in my tank again [emoji4]
I had to put just white lights on to get a pic....
88f86503fc00b83c39184f74c3983d60.jpg

Nice work. You just stepped up to a new level today.

The Scopas and turbos may take care of the rest. Now think about getting your import (food), vs export (skimming, water changes) balanced so it gradually fades away.

Nice work. You just stepped up to a new level today.

The Scopas and turbos may take care of the rest. Now think about getting your import (food), vs export (skimming, water changes) balanced so it gradually fades away.

[emoji3526][emoji3526]thanks! I see a bit of green stuff in the foam in skimmer.... still figuring that out.
Excited for my delivery tomorrow

Back