Tampa Bay "The Package"

HughesNet

Seems a bit excessive. 150 hermit crabs, 75 snails, and more. 300lbs rock 150lbs sand. All in my 150gal tank for a total of $1800. How cna you even fit that all in there!

Is something like this really the way to go? Or are there better ways?

It will fit... you wont have 150 gallons of saltwater in the Display Tank though... Maybe with the sump you would.

It is all dense and displaces the water. About the hermits and snails (and more)... to start out and cycle the tank.. they might end up starving first.

I know a few others will kick in here in a few minutes with some more opinions.

They dont send the critters till after the tank cycles. They send the sand and half the rock, wait for a cycle, then they send the rest of the rock and the critters. So it avoids what you mentioned. I have a bed currently only about 1-2 inches think and it isn't live sand. It is something larger. I got the tank used and the sand came with it so I can't be specific. I also fear my rock can't be called true live rock as it never had anything really growing on it and since adding it the tank was treated with copper and formaldehyde. So at best it is just a surface for bacteria now. But nothing great. I was thinking about going DSB and starting to replace some of my rock. The Package at tampa bay was attractive as a starting point to just start over in my tank "the right way" but it is also way more expensive and involved then I was thinking so was fishing for some opinions.

Given the expense. I think I may be better just adding 2-3 inches of live sand on top of what I have. And then swapping out my rocks over time. Since for the most part my tank is otherwise established. If I could just get these nitrates back down. Getting some progress there finally. This mornings test was a nice 40 orange instead of a deep red finally.

+1 on the lowering...

Yeah on the 1/2 1/2 shipment... IDK... If I was doing a 300... fresh.... I would do things differently than I did...

If the old rock that you got with the tank has been trated with copper I would avoid reusing it. Copper can continue to leech from the rock for some time.

I have never had a large tank such as a 150 but IMO I would not use 300# of rock. I would say save some money and go 200#. Just an idea.

It was generally expected to use around 1.5- 2 lbs of rock per gallon to have enough biological process to naturally keep nitrates in check. I've got around 500lbs of rock in my 210. Most of which is in the DT and as much as I could stuff in the sump. If I had room for a bigger sump, the majority of the rock would be in the sump allowing for a minimal open aquascape in the display.

The package is probably one of the best purchases I've made for my tank. Top notch quality and service. I did, however, buy a 25g package for my 60g shallow tank, and the quantity of it fit perfectly.

I bought "the package" for my first large saltwater tank. It was awesome, tons of life and tons of extras came with that weren't advertised as part of it.
Only downside was lots of nasty hitchhikers... had to hunt out a few mantis shrimp, tons of gorilla crabs, and when I broke down the tank a year later, there was a HUGE bristle worm hiding in my sand bed.

I bought "the package" for my first large saltwater tank. It was awesome, tons of life and tons of extras came with that weren't advertised as part of it.
Only downside was lots of nasty hitchhikers... had to hunt out a few mantis shrimp, tons of gorilla crabs, and when I broke down the tank a year later, there was a HUGE bristle worm hiding in my sand bed.

Not likely a bristle worm. My first tank was set up with gulf rock and when I broke it down several years later it had a giant worm worm as well. Eunicid worm most likely and a BAD hitchhiker indeed.

Not likely a bristle worm. My first tank was set up with gulf rock and when I broke it down several years later it had a giant worm worm as well. Eunicid worm most likely and a BAD hitchhiker indeed.

Could have been, I got the 2 or 3 mantis and many crabs myself, but when I moved and passed on the rock and livestock to another person he was packing it up and found the worm in the sand. I didn't see it with my own eyes.

Back