Tang id help

Buddy55

Ordered this tang. I wanted a chocolate tang and that's what I selected. Please see the photos and give me your opinion as best you can about this 3.5 inch fish. It doesn't look like acanthurus pyroferus. Im currently in contact with the supplier but looking for input in between.

Attachments

• IMAG0037-800x600.jpg
    IMAG0037-800x600.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0038-800x600.jpg
    IMAG0038-800x600.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yea I didn't realize I cldt use a simple camera phone picture and had to download a resizer. They are up now.
Hope they are detailed enough.

Last edited:
It's in a plastic quarantine for ttm. He/she will go in a glass tank for prazi. Pictures will be better and hopefully coloring as well. Maybe I'm wrong and I got the beautiful fish I've wanted and waited 7 extra months to get.

Last edited:
To describe unseen detail it's got barely visible lighter tan vertical lines along the main body about 1-2mm apart. A good dozen lines on each side of the body. So light you have to squint to see in person. And a thin electric blue line on the tip of the tail

Last edited:
To describe unseen detail it's got barely visible lighter tan vertical lines along the main body about 1-2mm apart. A good dozen lines on each side of the body. So light you have to squint to see in person. And a thin electric blue line on the tip of the tail

Pyroferus doesn't have vertical lines that I know of, I think that is A tristis the eibli mimic. At the end of the day though it is a mimic tang so will mature into the typical chocolate tang colouration.

I'm pretty sure the Eibli will not get the yellow stringers or the orange chest and it's also not a pyroferus. So I hope that is incorrect. I thought that to right off the bat, that it was a tristis.

I'm pretty sure the Eibli will not get the yellow stringers or the orange chest and it's also not a pyroferus. So I hope that is incorrect. I thought that to right off the bat, that it was a tristis.

The common name chocolate tang over here refers to all the mimic tangs in adult colours (shows why common names are pretty useless) but you are right tristis and pyroferus arent the same when adult, similar chocolate colour but variance in the additional colouration.

I understand the color variations specimen to specimen but I ordered the A Pyroferus and it seems some of you are in agreement that it is more likely a tristis. I will have to continue quarantine and get it in the DT. Hopefully I can catch it after that if it is not the fish that I wanted. I have all hopes it's just hiding colors in QT but he/she is very active and picking at decor already.

After getting a good light and getting excited for feeding time I was able to see him much better. I can with 98% certainty say it is the fish in the stock photo I'm attaching, the face color isn't as pronounced and the strips are not as noticeable. So this is the half black mimic I think.

Attachments

• 888edee39ca12ab4b40982152c5e7224.jpg
    888edee39ca12ab4b40982152c5e7224.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
It was the stripes that caused the confusion so looks like you have what you wanted. It's refreshing to see someone who loves mimics as they often get overlooked.

Back