Tangs that are agressive/semi-aggressive

Saadatski

Hey guys, quick question, i have a yellow tang, and i want to get another tang for my tank, probebly a kole tang. are yellow tangs aggressive toward other tangs?

I wouldn't add another tang to your tank if it is the 75 gallon in your sig. You will be asking for trouble in doing so for a couple of reasons. One being that the tank is too small for more than one tang that is on the smaller side(bristletooth tangs: yellow eye kole, tomini, ...). The other reason is that yellow tangs are known to harass any other fish added after them especially other tangs. I would venture to say that it may even kill it depending on the size of each fish and the overall aggressiveness of your yellow tang.

Its really a gamble.Sometimes they will...or won't.I've had a yellow tang that was mean towards my Picasso triggerfish, but was not mean to my Auriga Butterfly, or my Scopas Tang.You can do a Kole Tang.

-Cody

I wouldn't add another tang to your tank if it is the 75 gallon in your sig. You will be asking for trouble in doing so for a couple of reasons. One being that the tank is too small for more than one tang that is on the smaller side(bristletooth tangs: yellow eye kole, tomini, ...). The other reason is that yellow tangs are known to harass any other fish added after them especially other tangs. I would venture to say that it may even kill it depending on the size of each fish and the overall aggressiveness of your yellow tang.

Good advice. A second tang would be a roll of the dice at best.

wow, thanks guys,

when i read the description of the YT online, it says its relatively peaceful, but tend to be mean to its own species. Ill think about this and probably end up getting a different fish.

I agree. I've owned about six different yellow tangs in various setups and they have all been somewhat aggressive especially towards other tangs. I wouldn't add another tang in a 75.

bristle tooth tangs tend to be more passive as a whole, zebrasoma tangs are fairly agressive, while acanthuras tangs are absoulute bullys.

well let me keep you guys updated, i bought a kole tang today as im biting the bullet. I hope all works out and ill tell you after 4 weeks of QT how the two fish are together.

I have a 75gl with a yellow and a blue eyed kole with no probs..

How long have they been in the same tank? It wont work out long term. Saying they are fine for 6 months doesn't really count. You should be saying it works after both fish have died with out killing each other in the 75. That would prove it works. You have to measure the success of these things in many years. That little trigger at that lfs won't do much harm within 6months to a year in a reef, but look at 5 years down the road.

It looked like the OP had changed his mind until Jbonez posted that he was successful with both tangs in a 75. But perhaps, the OP ignored the original advice.

Anything is a toss up... My yellow tang bothers no new comers at all..... dont listen to the tang police... just keep your water clean and use your own judgement if the fish gets to big for your tank do the humane thing and find it a new home/tank...

A 75 gallon tank simply doesn't have enough room for two tangs. It is actually too small for the yellow tang alone. The kole tang would be okay in the tank long term but that is with no other tangs in the tank. I do not believe the term "tang police" is allowed on RC any more but I am not sure. In the end the OP will do what he wants, but it is a smack to the face to ask and go opposite of the advice given.

A 75 gallon tank simply doesn't have enough room for two tangs. It is actually too small for the yellow tang alone. The kole tang would be okay in the tank long term but that is with no other tangs in the tank. I do not believe the term "tang police" is allowed on RC any more but I am not sure. In the end the OP will do what he wants, but it is a smack to the face to ask and go opposite of the advice given.

Hey i absolutely appreciate the advice, as im not ignoring it, but rather taking it into consideration and understanding the risk. When i went "tang shopping" for my first one, i told my dad to pick one, and he picked the yellow tang. He really liked it and i didnt want to let him down because he is the only one that appreciates my hobby (he also pays for half of it). It is not like i bought a Sohal or Achilles tang and shoved it in my tank like most arrogant people will, but i chose a fish that suited my tank. I wanted another tang because let us be honest, tangs are one of the few reef safe fish that look good, so... All i did was ask for the risk and what i have to lose. I have nothing to lose and neither do the tangs, as they are not huge tangs, and they are moderately sized. my tank also has very open aquascape.

Thank you guys for all the advice, and im not being arrogant or ignorant and completely throw away advice or i would not have posted this thread at all.

Back