tank cycling

bizzleb01

My tank is cycling as of Friday. I put a couple of raw shrimp on it to kick it off. How often should you do water changes and test the water?

All you need to do is leave it alone for about 6 weeks except for monitoring for nitrites and nitrates and you only need to do that so you have something do and know when the cycle is going. When the nitrites are gone and nitrates begin climbing, the cycle is underway. At that point, do a 100% water change, and you are ready for a few small fish.

ps. I heavily recommend dr tim's one and only for getting the bacteria in. It worked very well in my system. You don't absolutely need it, but it saves a some time on the frontend.

The shrimp was what I used to jump start the cycle. I've already have recordable ammonia do I'm pretty sure the cycle has started.

I think a water change shouldn't be done until after the cycle is completed. You want the nutrients to be floating around for the bacteria to consume so they can build a healthy population. A water change removes some nutrients.

I also think a 100% water change as recommended by the other person is a bad idea. Logically - you'd replace all the water with nutrient free water and the bacteria will begin to die off until you establish nutrients in the water.

Dr Tims is also not needed. You should get all the bacteria you need to start your cycle from the dead shrimp.

Testing can be done as often as you want.

I have to agree with Ted on pretty much everything he said. Since you are doing a fishless cycle there really is no need to do any water changes until the cycle is over. I personally wouldn't do a 100% water change after cycle but rather the normal 20% just to replenish the oxygen in the water. Once you see the nitrates drop to zero or close you should be good to go. Make sure once you begin adding livestock you test your water a few days after adding to ensure your tanks bacteria can handle the added bioload. In regards to testing you can do it as you like. If you do it daily you can estimate what stage your cycle is in by testing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. When your ammonia numbers level out and then start dropping your nitrite and nitrate numbers are climbing you know your on your way.

What size tank and how many shrimp? You shouldn't b able to smell it. For my 44 gallon I put 3 shrimp and it cycled just fine without the odor.

Yes, I would encourage you to run your skimmer to work out the kinks if nothing else. I'm not sure how much your filter socks are really going to do at this point.

a skimmer removes nutrients - I would advise against running it during the cycle.

Regarding filter socks - if you have chunks of the shrimp collecting in the filter socks - best to not change them out until the cycle is complete.

I agree with Ted again don't change any filters or socks if you can help it. How cloudy is the water currently? If it's more cloudy than normal u probably have a bacterial bloom.

It doesn't seem to be cloudy at all. In going to test the water tonight to see where the parameters are and I'll post them later.

Diatoms are forming on rock and sand. Can I remove it during the cycle or just let it be?

My ammonia jumped up to 1.8 and is back to 0 now. I haven't really seen any nitrite (really hard to tell with Red Sea) and my nitrate is around 15-20.

Diatoms are forming on rock and sand. Can I remove it during the cycle or just let it be?

My ammonia jumped up to 1.8 and is back to 0 now. I haven't really seen any nitrite (really hard to tell with Red Sea) and my nitrate is around 15-20.

Let it be my friend, let it be.....keep watching that nitrate number it should slowely start dropping. Consider this your countdown to livestock.

The cycle time can vary from a few weeks to a few months. I am somewhat new to saltwater tanks but the cycle process is breaking down fish waste to Ammonia that becomes Nitrites which break down to Nitrates. The cycle is started by adding an Ammonia source (shrimp in this case) & waiting for bacteria to grow that complete each breakdown step.
Saltwater%20Cycle%20process_zpsnprpzwzg.jpg

Adding live rock at the beginning will speed up the process as the bacteria is already on the rock. Add dry rock if not using live rock so the bacteria has surface to grow on. Bacteria in a bottle like dr tim's should also speed up the process but people question if they actually work. testing & waiting suck but you want to see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, & below 10ppm nitrate before adding fish. Ammonia & nitrite will kill fish or high nitrate levels. I think a decent sized water change at the end like 20% or so would be beneficial. water changes will lower the nitrate levels as a part of your maintenance routine.

remove large chunks of the shrimp after a week or so if it starts to rot away. Too much of an Ammonia source is going to slow down the process as there isn't enough bacteria yet to break down the ammonia. Keep this in mind when adding your first fish take things slow & test for a few weeks before adding others. I see that you have over 200 posts which shows you are researching before adding fish to the tank. Great job on your part. too often people are killing fish & invertebrates before they understand what equipment is needed or using tap water. diatoms & and some algae should be expected for a few weeks.
Day9Shrimps_zpsdb8051dd.jpg

Back