Tank Drilling

bassist6108

Anybody local that can drill my 40 gallon, and maybe walk me through plumbing it again? Been out of the hobby for a few years now, but looking to get back in.

Thanks,
Andrea

The glass shop across the street from Sailfin Pet Shop can drill it. They did my 90 many years ago. I also have diamond bits for DYI.

Bacon & Van Buskirk Glass Company

Last edited:
Plumbing info you can find here on this website no problem.

I agree with the glass shop across from Sailfin in champaign.

Tank Drilling

Bacon does a good job with drilling they just get exponentially more expensive as the glass thickness and hole size goes up. I took my 160g sump there to have a single hole drilled for a 2" bulkhead and was quoted $40. Got a call back and said it would be $60, then a 3rd call saying it would be $80. I got angry at $80 and told them the price shouldn't keep going up (I think they were trying to get me to give up on it). They gave me the whole story about how expensive the bits are and I told them I know what they cost and they're doing pretty good at $80 a drilled hole. Lol. They drilled it in about 10 min with no problems once they quit price gouging me. Lol

I have diamond coated hole saws bits for 1-1/2 and 1-3/4 bulkheads I can loan or supervise use of if this is a viable solution. Attached image shows where they can be purchased.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1
Bacon is good. I have delt with them for 30 years, and never had a issue with a tank-and I have plenty of stories from other places over the years! I agree the price jump was out of line, but its the first I have heard of it happening. Also the commercial bits they use are insanely expensive-you could by 5 or 10 consumer bits for the price-hence their high rates. And of course welcome back Bassist!

Thank you everybody for your help. I've decided to start up a 20 gallon all-in-one for now, though the bigger tank is still calling my name in my garage!

Back