Tank failure on my 300DD

DeepSeaBeauti

Will Fielitz
Well it has lasted many more years than most, But it finally let go around 12:30am with a crack from the corner overflow drain hole to the front of the tank. Being a bottom glass crack there was no stopping or slowing it down. Thank goodness I was home, and had the 100gal sump and refugium tank going. Moved all the corals, fish and live stock down there. But now what. Who in there right mind would replace it with another tank with such a high failure rate. And who has the money for a custom tank. Im now at a loss. Do I replace the bottom glass, reseal the whole tank, and drill the back for a real overflow..... Anyway, im now stuck to the web looking for solutions.....

Will

Will,
Mine is up for sale if interested. It's a custom 250, 72" x 30" x 27' High.
Regular glass, dual overflows, no scratches. 1/2 what I paid 9 years ago.
Stand is cherry with built in drip tray. You can see it if interested.
Not quite empty yet.
Vinny

My 300 DD lasted 6 years before the seam started to show signs of failure. Tank was promptly emptied & I have not figured on a replacement yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6584.jpeg
    IMG_6584.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The tank is over 10 years old. I have seen numerous post about these tanks failing I always knew it would happen one day. I'm just glad I was home when it happened. I was in France just the week before for business!
Right now I have a few calls out to custom tank manufactures as well as for replacement glass. If I replace it I am definitely not drilling the holes in the bottom again. This is where the crack started from. I will eliminate the corner overflows for one mounted on the back. Right now I need to just see what my options are.

Attachments

• full tank view crack.jpg
    full tank view crack.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 20
  • tank crack.jpg
    tank crack.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
While replacing the pane may be cheaper, I’d reccomend a new tank. For no other reason other than to reseal you may need to reseal the entire tank and not just the bottom pane.

So the seams did not fail, the glass broke.
That of course, is not normal, something must have created pressure on the bottom glass, the drilled holes are simply where all tanks are most sensitive.

Absolutely not fixable and safe when the crack moves to the drilled holes.

I have cheap glass tanks, a few now approaching 20 years, still going leak free.

Simply replace that tank as your doing ensuring that it’s sits perfectly flat on the stand and there’s no flex whatsoever.
Stand flex is notorious for glass cracking.

Hang on to your hat Will.
I'm doing my best... lol Just happy I was able to get everything to safety. Everything from the tank is still doing well, and surprising my levels stayed pretty normal through it all. lol
While replacing the pane may be cheaper, I’d reccomend a new tank. For no other reason other than to reseal you may need to reseal the entire tank and not just the bottom pane.
Well, to even get the bottom pane out the whole tank needs to come apart. So, it was be resealed, and upgraded to a more reef ready setup if I go that route. Still waiting on quotes.
Is this a Marineland aquarium? If so, their deep dimension tanks are infamous for this.
Yes it is a MArineland. I have always read the stories about this failure. I have had the tank since 2010 so it made it pretty damn long. Been in the same spot, same stand. Nothing had changed. Just when its time its time.

So the seams did not fail, the glass broke.
That of course, is not normal, something must have created pressure on the bottom glass, the drilled holes are simply where all tanks are most sensitive.

Absolutely not fixable and safe when the crack moves to the drilled holes.

I have cheap glass tanks, a few now approaching 20 years, still going leak free.

Simply replace that tank as your doing ensuring that it’s sits perfectly flat on the stand and there’s no flex whatsoever.
Stand flex is notorious for glass cracking.
Right, No seam failure. The 3/4" (19mm) glass cracked between the two drilled holes and then shot across the panel.
My refugium for this tank my parents had before I was born. That was some 40 years ago and it's still doing its thing..... holding water. lol
I have quotes out for both a replacement glass and new tank. We will see what way it goes.

Sorry but hey 10 years is good for one of those.. Such nice dimensions for a reef aquarium too. I just can not believe all the Marineland failures especially the DD aquariums.
I had purchased one of their tanks and drilled it. I filled it with water for leak test and saw all the bubbles and stretch in the seam. Since it was drilled no warranty was honored. I ended up dumping a brand new tank and stand. No more Marineland tanks for me.

Back