Tank in a Second Floor Bedroom

whiteshark

So I have read and read about tanks on second floors and still am not entirely sure how to feel about it. Perhaps the community can give me a little peace of mind or steer me away.

I'd like to set up a tank in my bedroom. Only a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. All told there will probably be 22 ish total gallons of water in the system. My room does not have a load bearing wall to butt the tank up against, and I have yet to be able to determine the direction the floor beams run. If this was an old house I'd probably have no concerns with such a small tank. But this house is pretty new, built in 2009. I have a 60 gallon in the kitchen and have had no issues with those beams, which I can see in the basement.

Anyone want to share an opinion? Am I being over paranoid given how small the tank is?

Also, is it likely that the beams on the second floor run the same direction as the beams on the first floor?

Thanks!

30G should be no issue regardless of where your putting it.

General rule of thumb is 10lbs/G so at the most were talking maybe 400 pounds with rock and equipment. If your floors cannot hold that weight, you have bigger problems.

1000000000% absolutely over paranoid unless your house is made of match sticks, dried mud and Playdoh.

I would be willing to bet 100K$ cash on your bed with 2 grown adults in it is way heavier then that tank can even think about being.

Your being way over cautious about 400 pounds max.

Haha. That's just how I am. Can't help it. But I do appreciate the feedback. Pretty much eliminates all concern.

My initial concern was really aound it being a constant load as opposed to a temporary load (people sleeping). Sound like there is no reason for concern though.

Thanks!

A house is a big investment so being a little concern isn't out of the norm. For that size tank, you'll be fine regardless of where you put it. You may get a slight deflection on your floors if it's running parallel to the floor joist but we're talking about 1/16" to 1/8". Although I find it hard to believe there's no load bearing walls at all in your bedroom. If there's a window in your room, which I'm willing to bet there is since its code requirement to have one to be consider a "bedroom". If there's a wall directly below one of the walls of that bedroom, it's likely that wall is load bearing as well. Either way, for 30 gallons of water, you'll be fine. Your bathtub holds more water than that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oh there is a window, I'm just not going to put it against that wall, so I wasn't counting it as one I could use.

I don't think it's a good idea. I know a guy that put an 8 gallon nano in his bedroom and one night it tipped over and the entire first floor was flooded. It was a total loss. It was investigated and was found if he had gone with a 5 gallon instead of an 8 there would have been minimal water damage. Good luck

Haha. That's just how I am. Can't help it. But I do appreciate the feedback. Pretty much eliminates all concern.

My initial concern was really aound it being a constant load as opposed to a temporary load (people sleeping). Sound like there is no reason for concern though.

Thanks!

Just to throw a bit of generalized knowledge at you...
A typical homes floor is usually required to carry at least 40lbs per square foot (live load) in any room/any floor and thats been a standard for a while..
A 10 x 10ft room should have no problems with 4000lbs on it..
A 20G tank/sump,etc.. is roughly 300lbs soaking wet...

math calculations below for floor/room capacity..
10ft x 10ft =100ft^2 x 40lbs/ft^2 = 4000lbs

And thats "at least".. most can take far more than that without issue not to mention throwing that weight at the wall vs in the middle of the rooms span,etc...

I wouldn't sweat or even bat an eye till you get to the +250 Gallon range

I don't think it's a good idea. I know a guy that put an 8 gallon nano in his bedroom and one night it tipped over and the entire first floor was flooded. It was a total loss. It was investigated and was found if he had gone with a 5 gallon instead of an 8 there would have been minimal water damage. Good luck

Haha point taken.

My 55 gal with a 30 gal sump was on my second floor and my old house was 130 years old

In other words you will be fine

I wouldn’t hesitate to put one that size or even larger up ther

And FWIW the floor joists for the 2nd floor go the same direction as the ones below.

Back