tank lid ideas

Dorado13

I've become very interested in maybe getting a wrasse or two, but need a lid for my tank. I could always use a piece of acrylic or glass over the top but i run over the top of the tank to keep the temp down. Also worried that an eggcrate might block too much light. Any ideas from wrasse and other jumping fish owners on what I could put over the top that will still allow the fan to blow over the surface and not block light from the tank?

Make a frame of PVC that fits over the top of your tank. Wrap fishing line in a grid pattern over that frame. You can make the size of the grid as large or as small as you like, depending on the size of your fish. It will have essentially no effect on the light levels or the heat exchange.
It's not perfect, because some fish can still escape through the grid, but it stops most from getting out.

Dave

Egg crate is actually used as a light reflector. If used right it will reflect light back into the tank while keeping an open top for temp. I use it on my tank and it works great.

How do you use it right? I have just noticed that when i put the eggcrate over the top, the aquarium is noticably darker.

I would like to know also how you setup the eggcrate on your lids, i have 2 lids one on each side. Please tell me also how to setup eggcrate... Thanks

It depends on what kind of eggcrate you're using. Most people get the standard Home Depot plastic grid. This is the cheapest, and it will noticeably reduce the amount of light in your tank.

There is also a kind with a reflective coat and the arms of the grid have a concave shape. This gets more light into the tank. If set up right, directly below a point source bulb (MH) you will actually get more light at that spot than without the eggcrate. However, there's still less total light going into the tank. It also reduces the area which receives bright light.

Since eggcrate, no matter what kind, will reduce the total amount of light, I prefer the fishing line method.

Dave

One side of the eggcrate is slightly larger than the other side. When the larger side is placed on top it reflects the light back down. Most of the time its used in office buildings housed in flourecent light fixtures.

It might depend on how close you have your lights the the top. I have mine about an inch or two above.

I tried to draw a picture but it wont let me post it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555238#post7555238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cardgenius
One side of the eggcrate is slightly larger than the other side.

That's not the case with the Home Depot stuff that most people get. It's equal on both sides.

Dave

how many lb. test for the fishing line? I know you can get some big fish tied up on the lines. Wouldn't want the fishing line to break loose and let the fish get away. LOL. Nah, but seriously, you could just use something small?

You could make it out of gutter guard, they have it at HD. Although I think it only comes in 6" or 8" strips. It might be a pain to cover the whole top. I used it to block off the space betwwen the back of the tank and the wall at a 45' angle. That way any jumpers will hopefully bounce back into the tank. The rest is blocked by the canopy.
Good luck.

Would an acrylic lid with lots of small holes drilled throughout its area work for preserving light pass-thru and heat exchange? Has anyone tried a setup like this? I want a tight-fitting lid for my (future) tank with jawfish, and I'm worried that the little guys could squeeze thru eggcrate...

Ben

I've seen people use that method of drilling holes in acrylic, but haven't been able to try it out myself because i don't have the right tools.

I finally made a new top for my tank using eggcrate as the frame and fishing line to fill the middle like a net. It works pretty nicely, keeping the tank just as cool and doesn't block much light. Here's a shot of the lid.
IMG_2168.jpg

And here is a shot of my new exquisite wrasse.
IMG_2157.jpg

Looks good.

That's a nice way to use the flexibility and structure of eggcrate with the fishingline.

Dave

Wolverine, I like your idea. I use a 9 inch freeboard all the way around my top rim, but if I get a fish that offers to be more athletic it's getting that mod.

Back