Tank mates

Kitkatryno$6

I got into saltwater many years ago I had to give it up when we moved. I got back into it a year ago my tank is doing good. There isn't any saltwater stores near me and I'm limited to what I can order online. I have a 75 gallon tank and want to add more to it. right now i have 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 dispar anthias, 1 carpenter's flasher wrasse, 1 zebra barred dartfish, 1 pajama cardinal, 2 frostfin cardinals, 3 camel shrimp, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 5 nassarius snails, 1 purple and green yuma mushroom, 1 halimeda macroalgae, 1 scarlet macroalgae, 1 candycane, 1 zoa, 1 splatter acan ecinata, 1 green star polyp, 2 maxi mini carpet anemone ( 1 is missing), and 1 white with black tip claws hitchhiker crab. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We love watching our tank so we want our tank very active.

Last edited:
Welcome to RC!

I’d be concerned about the hitchhiker crab as generally black claws isn’t considered a good crab.

As for stocking, could look at smaller tangs like Kole tangs or other smaller bristle tooth tangs.

Welcome to RC!

I’d be concerned about the hitchhiker crab as generally black claws isn’t considered a good crab.

As for stocking, could look at smaller tangs like Kole tangs or other smaller bristle tooth tangs.
thank you. Ok i will catch him. I will look into those tangs

i would by i dont have a way to post a pic. google says its a gorilla crab
Gorilla crab is a catch all name for several species. Like others have said, get him out of there sooner than later. They get pretty darn big, and eat literally everything…including fish and coral.

I would add a smaller clown fish. Same species as the one you have. Also add two or three more flasher wrasses. They will interact and show the best coloration for your enjoyment. You need to keep a tight lid on the tank. These wrasses are master jumper. They will intentionally go through the smallest of opening.
What species of flasher wrasse does not really mater. Female or male does not mater either. You will like these wrasse. They are pretty easy to take care off. The only thing is they don’t live great long time. 5 years or so is the norm if you get a young one. Shorter for mature terminal wrasse.
IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1583.jpeg

IMG_9936.jpeg

IMG_9934.jpeg

IMG_7030.jpeg

I would add a smaller clown fish. Same species as the one you have. Also add two or three more flasher wrasses. They will interact and show the best coloration for your enjoyment. You need to keep a tight lid on the tank. These wrasses are master jumper. They will intentionally go through the smallest of opening.
What species of flasher wrasse does not really mater. Female or male does not mater either. You will like these wrasse. They are pretty easy to take care off. The only thing is they don’t live great long time. 5 years or so is the norm if you get a young one. Shorter for mature terminal wrasse.
View attachment 32402559
View attachment 32402560
View attachment 32402561
View attachment 32402562
View attachment 32402563
i love my carpenter's flasher wrasse its always out swimming and playing with the clownfish, dartfish, and anthias. i have a tight fitting lid. I plan on getting another clown too

I plan on getting another clown, and a couple more pajama cardinals. I'm not sure what to get for more clean up crew. We've been told not to get snails they take over. I'm not sure about hermit crabs. We've talked about starfish. We've also talked about urchins.

Yes, get another species of Flasher wrasse if possible. My pictures are of McCosker and Yellowfin Flasher wrasse.
“Big Money wrasse” the Diamond Tail Flasher. Some Fairy Wrasse can be added too
It is harder to find appropriate Fairy wrasse. Some can be aggressive or get larger than what you want. So do research on Fairy wrasse well before you get them.
Diamond Tail flasher (500.00 range)
IMG_6610.jpeg

Clams are easy beginner animal but they need bright light and good Ca and Alkalinity level. New reefer can easily provide good parameters for a nice collection of clams. They do have pesky parasites (that can kill) and a few diseases (uniformly fatal if untreated) fortunately this disease is treatable disease. You need to look for these and take care of it if your clams have them. So do your research if you want clams. These are my two rarer T. noae. You can get more common T. maxima or T. crocea for lower price and as beautiful. I have these too but the file are "too large to post" I am travel and not on my computer so I am not able to shrink them on my phone.
IMG_6875.jpeg

IMG_6445.jpeg

If you up to it, you can add a Magnifica or a Gigantea anemone. Both are very difficult anemone to keep. If you contemplated these, you fell off the deep end and contracted Anemone Fever like me.
Magnifica with Percula
IMG_8905.jpeg

IMG_6858.jpeg

Gigantea, with a recovering Blue Haddoni and recovering Purple Haddoni
Haddoni anemones are easier anemone to keep than Magnifica or Gigantea. Do your research well if you want anemones. I can't post a lot of my pictures due to the picture file is too large
IMG_0500.jpeg

Blue and Pink/Red Haddoni
Gigantea and Magnifica require similar conditions, high light, high current and (very) clean water. Gigantea tend to like higher light event then Magnifica. Both shipped very poorly and often require treatment on arrival to do well. If you want these anemones, make sure you do your research, and at least read my stickily thread on using antibiotic to treat sick anemones on the anemone forum.
Haddoni requires lower current, but in order to keep their color, bright light is needed and a reasonable deep sand bed 2+ inches since they are sand dwelling creatures.
IMG_0162.jpeg

Green Gigantea
IMG_7998.jpeg

IMG_6065.jpeg

Other colors Gigantea
IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

Magnifica and Gigantea on the same rock for years.
IMG_0450.jpeg

Gigantea and Magnifica require similar conditions, high light, high current and (very) clean water. Gigantea tend to like higher light event then Magnifica. Both shipped very poorly and often require treatment on arrival to do well. If you want these anemones, make sure you do your research, and at least read my stickily thread on using antibiotic to treat sick anemones on the anemone forum.
Haddoni requires lower current, but in order to keep their color, bright light is needed and a reasonable deep sand bed 2+ inches since they are sand dwelling creatures.
View attachment 32402596
Green Gigantea
View attachment 32402591
View attachment 32402592
Other colors Gigantea
View attachment 32402594

View attachment 32402593
View attachment 32402595
your pictures are beautiful. I love anemones right now i have 2 maxi mini carpet anemones the smaller 1 is happy on a rock with lower light and less flow and the bigger one was on top with lots of light but he moved and hasn't stopped moving now he disappeared under rock

Consider Rock Flower anemones. These are beautiful, come in a number of colors and can sexually reproduce in your tank.

View attachment 32402596
Green Gigantea
View attachment 32402591
View attachment 32402592
Other colors Gigantea
View attachment 32402594

View attachment 32402593
View attachment 32402595
Sorry what’s the blue and purple one called?

Back