Tank of the Month - Apr 2002

Another quality pick! Outstanding tank. Very healthly looking mature corals. keep up the great work.

Best regards,
Kevin

WoW

WoW

John,
Congrats - how many times did I say 'WTF' or "Coool" while checking out your system ?

Aesthetics !!!
System !!!
Layout !!!
And check out that Maintenance schedule !!

It's hard top belive it's only your second reef!

Way to go RC for another outstanding choice!

And you are moving next month! good luck. A big part of the enjoyment is the challenge that adversity throws at us. Plus having new digs will be cool. Keep us posted on the new setup.

Beautiful Tank

Beautiful Tank

As a person who is getting everything together at this time to set up my first reef tank. You are an inspiration. Hopefully in years I will have a tank 1/2 as nice. Just one question, with your tank evaporating 15 gallons of water a day in the basement. Do you have some sort of dehumidifier running to get all of that water out of the air?

GREAT TANK.

Thanks everyone for your compliments. The tank would not be the way it is today if I didn't find this board. I did not post too many questions in the past few years but I read and learned alot from all the wonderful resources on this site.

As with other reefers here on the board, we have had our share of cycling pain, hair algae, and other chemical spikes but we made it through. Now the biggest chalenge for us is to safely move the system over to the new house on the 4th of May.

Rickeejb,

We bought the biggest dehumidifier we can find at Home Depot and run it 24/7 in the basement. So far we have not seen any sign mildew. The air always stay fresh. We also open the walkout basement whenever the weather is good outside to get fresh air in the house.

Happy reefing,
John

John
Excellent job!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: Congrat"s on the new house, I hope the move goes smooth and safely for you and your critters:)

John - great tank, beautiful colors on the corals. One question on lights. You currently have 3 400w 20Ks - what type/brand - Iwasakis? And you have 3 175w 10Ks -what type/brand?

Reefraff,

The 400 watters are 20K radium german bulbs and the 175 watters are 10K Redsea something geman bulbs also.

Later,
John

John, I had to go to your webpage to find the identities of the bright green Montipora (pictured by the Tridacna) and the brighter-green (like, holy cow, that is GREEN) Hydnophora. Do those 2 green coral hold their color under Iwasaki light and will either ever land on your "Frags-for-sale" page?

HI, i am planning to start 200 gallon tank. Can you possibly tell me how high are your lights are off the water surface. thanks, Yuriy

Piercho,

The hydno and the green monti digitata will keep their color under the Iwasaki. That's what I was using the first 3 years before I switched to my current light setup. Those two are a little bit different than the green that you ussually see around. They both have bright green body tissue and polyps with no tint of brown or any other color. I have not seen another hydno like that around here yet.

I use to frag the hydno before but not anymore. I may have some available in May since I am moving by the end of this month. I am sure there will be alot of frags right after the move :)

Juriy,

All my bulbs are 8" away from the surface of the water.

HTH,
John:)

Very solid tank...! All most like a piece of the ocean in your hands....

One crazy question. How did you attach your maxis 1200 to the tank. I like the way you put them. I have 2 and I am using the three sucktion cup system it bring but it take up space. I am planning on adding 2 more to improve the movement and eventually get your hard corals growth and health...

Thank.:D

Very Nice, it's what we all strive for !!!!
Congrats on your success and good luck on your move .
I'm in the process of getting rready to relocate my mature system , although in the same house it will still be a chalange.
Hey , I will think about you on my Bday , the 4th :) , I might be moving minr then also.
Again , very beautiful setup , thumbs up :)

Very Nice!

Very Nice!

John

Thanx for sharing your tank with everyone.....Im glad you won tank of the month, you definately deserve it! but on the flipside it kept me up all nite lookin at your pics :lol: Really you should be proud. :thumbsup:

John,
What a beautiful tank and setup!:thumbsup:

A real credit to the art & science of reefkeeping!
Congratulations!
Dick:)

Back