Tank of the Month - August 2005

DIY Skimmer

DIY Skimmer

Echoing previous posts, the tank is amazing and I really loved the photo timeline.

I was wondering if you could share your general thoughts and inspiration for your homemade Beckett skimmer. I will probably build one myself, and I didn't know if you had a good blue-print or lessons learned.

Thanks, and what a tank!

Great job! I really like the way you've DIY a lot of equipments and particularly admire your attitude of nursing corals and achieve wonderful colours.

So many others would just buy and buy the bright coloured choices from the shops, bidding ridiculous monies for them, and having them turning brown eventually in their own tank!

Congratulations!

Amazing Reef! And some people say you can't keep colorful/healthy SPS with a sand bed, huh? Riiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Beautifull, colorfull and very natural looking reef tank, congratulations! :thumbsup:

eAlex said:
TippyToeX, Peppermint hog does not cause any trouble for invertebrates and seems to be plankton eater from water column. It only may slightly harass fishes with similar eating behavior, like other wrasses or Nemateleotris decora in my case. [/B]

Very good to hear! Thanks for the info, and again you have an amazing tank. :)

Very beautiful tank Aleksandr! Congrats to the TOTM - you really deserve it. Keep up the good work.

Is the DIY wavemaker you made still working? I did not finish mine unfortunately...

What a great job! Got to be one of the prettiest I've seen in the forum. The pictures are perfect. Slideshow is unbelievable

Awesome looking tank!

Just curious about one of your statements. Do you mean they don't dose or replenish alkalinity or Calcium? Just what are their levels at, do you know? Do they perform water changes often?

"In some of my friends' aquariums, which run without any additions other than food, I see much more natural coral growth and formation than in typical aquariums."

Thank you all! :wave:

jimcombs9 said:
I was wondering if you could share your general thoughts and inspiration for your homemade Beckett skimmer. I will probably build one myself, and I didn't know if you had a good blue-print or lessons learned.
I consider my skimmer very efficient, it produces 2 gallon of wet foam over water level and ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œnormalââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ size commercial skimmer will produce much anything from aquarium water when my skimmer is on. :cool: I do have some thoughts about DIY ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚beckettââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ skimmer:
- Pipe from pump to injector should be thick enough to minimize backpressure, I use 1ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ inner diameter
- Pipe from injector should be thick enough to pass foam without pressure, I use 2ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚
- Pump for each ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œbeckettââ"šÂ¬Ã‚-injector should be powerful enough, other way quality of bubbles will be insufficient, one can easily get high amount of air sucking with smaller pump too, but amount of foam will be much lower and skimmer will be very sensitive to feeding or putting hands into aquarium water, because insufficient bubble quality. I use two pumps in serial ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ OceanRunner 6500 and 3500.
- Air flow should be reduced to make bubble quality better
- With this amount of foam, you have very large rising pipe (in my skimmer from box to the collecting cup), which quickly become dirty and should be kept cleaned if you want skimmer to work efficiently. So if I make another skimmer I will make rising pipe easily detachable for cleaning, I thing Tunze way, when rising pipe simply stand inside thicker pipe by own weight, will work best.
- If I make another skimmer, I will make thicker rising pipe (160mm, 6.3ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚) longer and thinner rising pipe (110mm, 4.3ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚) shorter.

FastUno said:
Just curious about one of your statements. Do you mean they don't dose or replenish alkalinity or Calcium? Just what are their levels at, do you know? Do they perform water changes often?

"In some of my friends' aquariums, which run without any additions other than food, I see much more natural coral growth and formation than in typical aquariums."
Sorry, I was inexact in two places. I do add a lot of calcium and alkalinity, besides food in my aquarium, it must be added if one have anything growing in own tank. Moreover, my friends do add calcium and alkalinity in aquariums with more natural coral grows pattern, but do use only pure calcium carbonate in reactor and kalkwasser, so there is no other intake of other elements, besides calcium, than food.

Erik said:
Is the DIY wavemaker you made still working? I did not finish mine unfortunately...
Yes, it is still working, now there is DIY waveboxes all around the world, hopefully you finish yours too. ;)

WOW!! What a stunning reef. The slide show is amazing. Can hardly believe that there are just two smallish rock piles under all the coral:eek1:

Qmonroe said:
Great Job!
Do you also mix up the sand every so often, and how deep is you DSB?
Thanks! :)

I do not mix sand bed intentionally, DSB is ~ 4ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ in main tank and refugium.

Not really, photographing fishes is yet too difficult for me and is much more difficult to make individual photo of the fish (usually it looks same like millions other photos on internet), than of corals. :rolleyes:

Back