Tank of the Month - August 2007

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10547864#post10547864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishcraze2002
Thanks. I notice your location as 'pho 54'. I passed by that store when I was in OC earlier this year and wanted to try it out. How is the 'pho' there? is it as good as pho 79 (which i think verygood:)

Depends which kind of Pho you like to try.

The best pho (according to my friends with more discerning taste) is Pho 54 on (Brookhurst/Hazard) for Beef. Pho Nguyen Hue (Bolsa/Ward) for chicken. I just eat whatever's available.

Sorry for getting OT. Back to your beautiful tank Quoc. Congrats. Perhaps someday I could come check out your tank if I ever happen to be in the area.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10555550#post10555550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishcraze2002
that's scary.. I hope yours was a very rare situation and that my RBTA would never spawn ( it's growing fast lately).

maybe take a razor to it and slice it in two since it is doing so well, ...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10557661#post10557661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skeeter-doc
maybe take a razor to it and slice it in two since it is doing so well, ...
i'm sure that will make it split just fine.. but it may be upset and starts moving around- which is the last thing i would do to this RBTA since it has stayed on the same location I first put it in my tank 3 yrs ago!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10563052#post10563052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishcraze2002
i'm sure that will make it split just fine.. but it may be upset and starts moving around- which is the last thing i would do to this RBTA since it has stayed on the same location I first put it in my tank 3 yrs ago!
How big is that RBTA ?

Hi Hoang,

Congrat! on your TOTM! I have some questions which you had mention about on your forums.
mysterious RTNs, crazy algae blooms, stubbornly browned-out SPS, if you have any solution to these problem can you send it to me dungbui1@yahoo.com. I think I have these problem in my tank specially the crazy red algae blooms and Stubbornly browned-out.

Thanks

wow, that is a kick *** setup, congrats!
i was wondering, what is the concoction of different foods you use to feed your diverse population of coral?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10566788#post10566788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dbui
Hi Hoang,

Congrat! on your TOTM! I have some questions which you had mention about on your forums.
mysterious RTNs, crazy algae blooms, stubbornly browned-out SPS, if you have any solution to these problem can you send it to me dungbui1@yahoo.com. I think I have these problem in my tank specially the crazy red algae blooms and Stubbornly browned-out.

Thanks

dbui,
honestly, when facing with those problems, I often tried a bunches of things to try to resolve them... And many times i don't have the patient to try one 'solution' at a time; so when the problems were fixed I wasn't really sure which one fixed it.. could be one of the changes, or a combination of them, or just lucky, or sometimes the problems just disappear themselves that I had no clue why:D
However, I'll try to give you some of my 2cents on some potential 'solution' or causes of those problems:
1/ Red algea blooms: may be due to high nutrient or feeding in your tank. However I once time had a wierd red algea from the Bali culture that would grow like crazy even when i cut way back on feeding and do lot of water changes.. In this case, I found the best solution is to find the right grazers for that algea. The best grazers are the tangs.
- In my experience, purple tang and yellow tang are good for those red algea, turf green algea, brown algea...
- Naso tang: is excellent for a weird type of algea that no other tangs would eat like dictyota and another type of brown algea that grow like waffles that i don't rememeber the name.
- sailfin tang is good for hair algea.
- and Mexican turbo snails are good the most of the above algea!

So you may want to try a combination of these grazers to keep your algea in check (and you may have to do trial and error to find out the right grazer for specific algea)

2/ Stuborn brown SPS: as the name said - this a really stuborn problem:D However, I found that when the tank is still new (less than 1 year), the biological system of the tank is not stable so it's hard to get the more delicate sps to color up. But once your tank mature and the tank parameters are stable, most of the SPS will color up. There willl be some really stuborn ones that may never color up in your tank :(.. In this case, the solution may be just get rid of it:D
IMO, first requirement for SPS tank is nitrate level to be zero (non detectable) and low phosphate. (When you tank is mature, these two parameters are pretty much taken care of - not much effort needed to keep them in check)
Next is to make sure the other tank parameters (mainly dKH, Calc and Mg) stable by regular dosing (manually or by calc rxtr, kalk rxtr).
Then, frequent water change (preferred weekly) is another helpful practice to export the extra nutrient and replenish the trace elements for the tank.

Again, these are just suggestions based on my experience. you will find lots of different methods from other people that will also work. Hope this help
:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10569294#post10569294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by theROYSKIE
wow, that is a kick *** setup, congrats!
i was wondering, what is the concoction of different foods you use to feed your diverse population of coral?

Currently, I feed the fishes frozen mysis and dry flakes everday and I guess the corals also get some of those food.

Every other day I add (to the fish food above) some special food for the corals: either cyclopeze, or golden pearl or oyster eggs. I noticed that corals seem to repond most to the oystereggs since i see most of the coral in the tank will have crazy polyp extension when i feed oyster eggs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10572929#post10572929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by patej
wow,,, hope one day mines looks as good
it will.. just need a little time and patient - believe me:)

perc, kev apsley, McLovin - thanks for the nice words.

Kev apsley, the mystery wrasse is my favorite wrasse now. It was small when I got it 9-10 months ago and the color was just a little pink. However, when it gets bigger, the pink color has brighten up and the marks on its head become more vivid - love that fish!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10578762#post10578762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishcraze2002
perc, kev apsley, McLovin - thanks for the nice words.

Kev apsley, the mystery wrasse is my favorite wrasse now. It was small when I got it 9-10 months ago and the color was just a little pink. However, when it gets bigger, the pink color has brighten up and the marks on its head become more vivid - love that fish!

Awesome! I'm getting one next week...what is yours eating? Have you seen him eat any flatworms?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10579876#post10579876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kev apsley
Awesome! I'm getting one next week...what is yours eating? Have you seen him eat any flatworms?
He'll eat anything - meat, dry food.. if i have flatworms he may not get a chance to eat them since i have 2 sixline wrasses and a yellow wrasse that are very active:)

Back