Tank of the Month - August 2009

Hi John,

I'm building a 90g reef. If I have enough flow in the tank, do you think an eheim 1260 (635 gph) return pump is ok. A 1262 might be a lot considering you use it for your 190g

cheers

Hi John,

I'm building a 90g reef. If I have enough flow in the tank, do you think an eheim 1260 (635 gph) return pump is ok. A 1262 might be a lot considering you use it for your 190g

cheers

Not John, but that's more than enough. You really only need 3-5x turnover from your sump.

Hi John,

cheers

Thanks Ike. I agree with your turnover recommendation.

But I just wanted to add that before this tank I had a 75G-tank (total system vol with sump around 100G), and I was using the exact same 1262 pump in that system. It worked fine, and I'd still recommend using that pump. The smaller pump would probably be sufficient, but you might stick with the higher GPH pump for more versatility. You could always use a ball valve to tune it down a bit (I left mine full on). You'll also have a bigger pump in case an upgrade is ever in the future, or in case you ever decide to divert some of your return to some other area/source.

Thanks John,

I now have my 90g plumbed with a spare mag-7(700gph) and the flow could be more - I just ordered the 1262 - also hoping that it would be quieter than the mags.

John,

I finally had the opportunity to read in detail your TOTM article. What an amazing tank and a great story detailing how this tank evolved! I was most impressed when looking at where your reef started and what it has become.

Could you post a recent picture? Hope to make the trip up to see it in person someday.

Regards,

Jeff

Back