Tank of the Month - August 2009

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15557431#post15557431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johns
We didnt see pics of ur growout tank though u say it is tied to the main tank, can you please share some pics and explain how it is tied together !!

Actually there are just a couple of pictures of the growout tank in the article. But it may not be completely clear which ones they are, because the growout tank is not just set up with racks and frags like you might expect, but it's actually another shallow look-down tank with it's own rockwork, etc. Some (most) of the coral frags I had in there have grown into full colonies by now as well.

If you look down the article, a couple top-down shots of the growout tank are the 4th set of pics from the top, immediately below the pics of the full tank showing the cabinetry.

Gary Parr did take a few other shots of the growout tank. A few of them can be seen here:

58-jsalequip05c.jpg

61-jsalsump05a.jpg

62-jsalsump01a.jpg

The way it was plumbed together is like this:
The sump tank sits behind and below the main display inside the back cabinet. The external overflow from the display drains directly down into this sump. The growout tank sits directly below the main display inside the stand. The sump and the growout tank were both drilled through their sides. They are connected together using 2-inch spa flex tubing, through a hole drilled into the cabinetry. There is an overflow box in the growout tank with a return pump placed inside of it to return water to the main display.

A couple more pics from when this tank was first put togther might help explain it:

Here is a shot of the sump which sits behind the main display. In the lower right of this pic you'll see the 2-inch spa flex line going through the cabinet (there are a few pvc pieces lying on top of it, for no good reason):

leftsump3.jpg

Here is the growout tank sitting below the main display. You can see the black overflow box and the spa flex line coming out of that. There is an eheim return pump inside of that overflow box that returns water back to the main display.

growout1.jpg

And a couple more views:

endview1.jpg

right_side_view_4_1_.jpg

Thanks for a few more behind the scenes pics! I was curious how all that went together. I have to say I really like the cabinetry and wood work!

What salt do you use for water change?

Most of my time in the hobby I have used Reef Crystals. More recently, for the past year or so, I have started using a mix of 1/2 Reef Crystals and 1/2 Oceanic salt, mainly just to try to boost the Ca and Alk during water changes and hopefully use less of the 2-part solutions that get supplemented.

Is the grow out tank the same as a frag tank, if not can you explain this grow out tank to me? I saw the pics of your grow out tank and the corals you have in there don't really appear to be frags and they appear to be corals that I would have in my main tank. Thanks ( I am still learning)

Is the grow out tank the same as a frag tank, if not can you explain this grow out tank to me? I saw the pics of your grow out tank and the corals you have in there don't really appear to be frags and they appear to be corals that I would have in my main tank. Thanks ( I am still learning)

For me frag tank = growout tank. I use the terms inter-changeably. For the article, I just picked one term for consistancy.

The tank is just a shallow (14" high) open-top tank. Mine might be a just a little different than some others only because I chose to fill it with sand and live rock rather than just having a bunch of racks lined up holding frags. This is mainly because I wanted to house a few fish in there that I thought would be more comfortable with some live rock structure. I figured any of small frags I got could be glued on to various places of the rockwork. Several of the frags I glued onto the rock have grown into full colonies. So now it does look less like a frag tank than it did originally.

it's not just the tank, livestock, use of space, planning , etc. I'm impressed with but the incredible success you have achieved. Many of us have very similar set ups, however much different outcomes. Yes, the curator seems to be the magic ingredient here.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515566#post15515566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johns
There`s one thing i don't understand , the po4 number (0.3-0.7)ppm ?
Is this a typing error or is it really that high ?

Good catch, tntneon. Yup, that a typo. You should have been one of the editors! It should have read 0.03 to 0.07. Looks like a minor change, but it's big difference right!?

Sorry about that one.

Congrats on a Beautiful tank...what kind of po4 media do you use? and do you run it 24/7?

what kind of po4 media do you use? and do you run it 24/7?

I do run some generic GFO I bought in bulk from Bulk Reef Supply. I run it 24/7 in a phosphate reactor.

Reference

Reference

This is one tank I will be referring back to many times for ideas and inspiration. Is the tank 1/2" or 3/4" glass? Is there a center brace or just the 3" perimeter euro bracing?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Is the tank 1/2" or 3/4" glass? Is there a center brace or just the 3" perimeter euro bracing?

The tank constructed with 1/2 inch glass. The 3 viewable sides are starphire glass. There is no center brace - perimeter only. It was custom made by Miracles in Glass.

How high above your tank are your lights mounted. We have a similar setup and I just need to know if my lights are too close to the water.. We are running 250 SE MH's about 8" above our water level. Thanks....and what a great TOTM.
John

How high above your tank are your lights mounted. We have a similar setup and I just need to know if my lights are too close to the water.. We are running 250 SE MH's about 8" above our water level. Thanks....and what a great TOTM.
John

Hi jnaarnold-

My lights are around a foot above the water level in my setup.

Back