Tank of the Month - January 2008

Fernando- Your in Panama ? We are neighbors then, I have a finca in the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica, and a beach lot in La-Palma Near Puerto Jiminez. Pura Vida!
You should be able to get both the epoxy resin and the great stuff at the home depot, that's where I got it from.
About the Goniopora, I have absolutely no problems with them. In fact the red one was revived from almost nothing and the green one was dyed blue when I bought it but it is doing great. Both have been in my tank for almost 2 years.
Some corals do great in my system while others don't. Some people predicted those two corals would be dead within 6 months but both are doing better then ever!

Stanley / Fernando !

Good day , thanks very much for yr reply. Yes I am in Panama and of course we are vecinos !! How often you travel to yr finca ?
thanks for yr advice I will purchase the great stuff and thye epocy in my next trip to New York or Miami.
Re Goniopora sp. unfortunately this coral does not do any good in my reef. I like this coral very much. maybe I will try again and see what happens. Stanley, do you feed yr soft corals ? I do not have hard corals because in Panama they do not sell them.
thanks in advance for prompt reply.

Hasta Luego !
Fernando Chang

Ok its your fault I had a contractor out today measuring for my building. No possible way to add on to the house. Have lined up ready to purchase 15 ft tank same dimensions as yours except the walls will only be 1.25 thick, do you think that will be a problem? Few things I didnt understand if you dont mind. How many overflows and what size, where located. Do you use a chiller? What sand did you use and what depth. Any help appreciated still kind of a rookie with really less than 2 yrs experience here.

Fernando- I'm down about three or four times a year. I do not feed the hard or soft corals directly. I do supplement cyclopeeze which may help them somewhat.

David-1.25 is a little thin. I'm not a professional tank builder so get some advice on that before purchasing.
4 overflows along the back of the tank.- A titanium heat exchanger that is cooled with tap water is used in place of an electric chiller.
Sand is for aesthetics only and varies in depth on where the current blows it.

If your a rookie do you have any previous reef keeping experience? It's best to learn on a smaller set-up that is a little more affordable. It sucks to lose 1700 gallons of livestock versus 70 gallons. I started with a 35 gallon hex and slowly moved my way up.

I have been getting some pm's and e-mails with all sorts of questions on setting up big tanks. How to do it, what equipment, how to build the live rock stands etc, etc. I will be glad to offer what ever advice I can. Feel free to pm me or email at energy4@mac.com. I 'll offer what ever assistance I can and I also know the right people to assist with set-up and design for custom installations. I am not part of this organization but have seen there work and can confidently recommend them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11665427#post11665427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
I would love to see pictures of the store REEFSTOCK. The web description really sounds impressive.

Love to share. I loaded some up in my RC picture pages.

congrats stan on TOTM. this is truly an amazing setup that anyone can even imagine in their lifetime of building i know my for sure. just one questions, so exactly how many mag 18 are supply to run all the flow needed for this monster?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11728892#post11728892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFSTOCK
Love to share. I loaded some up in my RC picture pages.

Looks like you had a super turn out and the store looks great. very nice job. :thumbsup:

Wow, this tank is incredible! Your fish room is bigger than our two houses COMBINED! LOL

I think I am going to visit and live in your fish room :)

NanoCube-boy Energy,
What do you mean by "...Dyed in blue..."?
Some unreputable wholesalers dye their corals to make them more appealing for a quicker sale. Sometimes this harms the coral, othertimes it just stresses it.

cbui2 congrats stan on TOTM. this is truly an amazing setup that anyone can even imagine in their lifetime of building i know my for sure. just one questions, so exactly how many mag 18 are supply to run all the flow needed for this monster?
I use about 4 of them as powerheads in the tank .

Vinnie,
Just to save you time, this question has been answered at least 10 times on his thread. Any brand of Epoxy will do. Just make sure it does not have any mold inhibitors in it which it will clearly say on the container if this is the case.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11777470#post11777470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prostaff
Vinnie,
Just to save you time, this question has been answered at least 10 times on his thread. Any brand of Epoxy will do. Just make sure it does not have any mold inhibitors in it which it will clearly say on the container if this is the case.

Im more curious as to the age of the tank, Its a tank i would LOVE to have so please no one think im questioning the beauty of this tank. Im more or less trying to find someone who has been using the Spray foam insulation for an extended period of time without problems. I am a worry wort and whereas i know the 1400 i have invested in my tank total prolly wouldn't pay for the Skimmer on this Beautiful tank I still worry about my investment and i certainly wouldn't want to have my tank up and have everything die because something leached I know the stuff is suppose to be inert but i also know that saltwater is corrosive as all get out and i am wondering if the Spray foam will dissolve over time in SW.Also i am Aware that everyone says Any old Epoxy resin will do but I KNOW this tank looks great and his fish look AWESOME thats why i asked what brand he used.

The tank is at least 2 yrs old. I remember he said he used the first brand he saw in HD. In my experience, I have found that most resins are really about the same. As long as you make sure you let it cure for 2 weeks, its not going to do anything to your tank

CAN YOU SEND ME AN EXAMPLE OF HOW YOU BUILT THE PVC AND EGGCRATE SHELVES FOR THE LIVE ROCK AND WHAT EXPOXY YOU USED.

THANKS

Energy, thanks for your reply. That's animal cruelty right there, that isn't eight. I think it should be against the law to treat corals like that.

Back