Tank of the Month - June 2012

awsome tank man!! doing no water changes isnt anything new. if you have a good export to keep your phos/nit in check and fish to poop in your tank your GTG! he uses a nice refuge+dsb+added bacteria to denitrify. the same can be done with algae scrubbers, biopelets+skimmer. i think people have just gotten into thinking that weve been doing water changes for years because they had to for nutrient export so we need to keep doing them without real cause and like many things in this hobby a lot is snake oil used to make profits.

What is the white funnel type coral on the tank of the month.. Also what is the red one in the middle..
His white coral that looks like a funnel is a leather coral called 'sarcopyhton', also called a 'mushroom toadstool' coral.
The red ones he has on the left are goniopora.
The red ones in the middle are acanthophyllia.

I found some interesting facts about reef tanks without any modern equipment from the "father" of modern reefkeeping , Lee Chin Eng, who was from Bali and moved to Singapore. All the bioballs, algae scrubbers , live rock concepts go back to these principles.
http://www.garf.org/news6p3.html
he learned it from somebody in Banjuwangi and popularized it ( Reef Aquarium Volume 3, page 333, Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek)
Maybe we are overthinking reefkeeping?

it was inevitable...

it was inevitable...

an amazing tank... Those clams are incredible...

this is the first time i've ever commented on anybody's TOTM... you really have something special there, Nano. kudos and high-fives!

i know i'm chiming in about as late in the month as i can, but i notice, nobody really gives much credit to your spectacular clams! how many have you got in there? like eleventeen? well done, well done... i need to collect some more methinks.

i would wager that the clams have an integral role in your sublimely "simple" system :wildone:

i don't do water changes either, just top off with great water and skim with an EV-180, and the DSB fuge complete with live rock gauntlet and macroalgae do the rest... always nice to see that it really can work! your tank gives me something to look forward to... you have some of the most gorgeous corals i've ever seen; you are good to credit your cameraman! high-fives that direction as well!

here's to those clams though... seriously. :beer:

just curious, how long exactly (well, approximately) have you been using the LEDs? i really want LEDs, but i'm still kind of skeptical that enough LEDs to produce reef-strength light is actually less energy cost than T5 lighting. do you find the corals really grow under the LED light or are you perhaps purposely slowing them down on that side? it is pretty close quarters in there, after all, and you mentioned that you started with MH... do you move the lights periodically so both sides get some of each?

thanx for sharing your tank with us! :D

All..... thank you.... :) :)

Hgotama Nano,send me a frag please?. Terima kasih
@Hgotama : if your place near my home, i will give you some frag of my corals...

firebirdude Incredible tank.

How long had your LED lighting been installed over your tank before the pictures were taken?

@firebirdude.... 1 year...start May or June 2011.

IridescentLily
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric w View Post
What is the white funnel type coral on the tank of the month.. Also what is the red one in the middle..
His white coral that looks like a funnel is a leather coral called 'sarcopyhton', also called a 'mushroom toadstool' coral.
The red ones he has on the left are goniopora.
The red ones in the middle are acanthophyllia.

@April... thank you for help me answer eric question... :)

TripleOne just curious, how long exactly (well, approximately) have you been using the LEDs? i really want LEDs, but i'm still kind of skeptical that enough LEDs to produce reef-strength light is actually less energy cost than T5 lighting. do you find the corals really grow under the LED light or are you perhaps purposely slowing them down on that side? it is pretty close quarters in there, after all, and you mentioned that you started with MH... do you move the lights periodically so both sides get some of each?

thanx for sharing your tank with us!

@TripleOne: a year, i had used this LEDs from may or June 2011.

ehmm my red digitata grow very fasy under LEDs light than under Radium 250w 20kk. I decide using LEDs because MH need more electricity and your wallet will empty just in a day to pay your electricity bills hehehe. And this is just luxeon led from china but give me more light to my coral growth. ehmm i compare LEDs lighting with Radium 250w 20kk to see how coral growth. I really surprise that my LEDs lighting give more growth than Metal halide.

this is the first time i've ever commented on anybody's TOTM... you really have something special there, Nano. kudos and high-fives!

i know i'm chiming in about as late in the month as i can, but i notice, nobody really gives much credit to your spectacular clams! how many have you got in there? like eleventeen? well done, well done... i need to collect some more methinks.

i would wager that the clams have an integral role in your sublimely "simple" system :wildone:

i don't do water changes either, just top off with great water and skim with an EV-180, and the DSB fuge complete with live rock gauntlet and macroalgae do the rest... always nice to see that it really can work! your tank gives me something to look forward to... you have some of the most gorgeous corals i've ever seen; you are good to credit your cameraman! high-fives that direction as well!

here's to those clams though... seriously. :beer:

just curious, how long exactly (well, approximately) have you been using the LEDs? i really want LEDs, but i'm still kind of skeptical that enough LEDs to produce reef-strength light is actually less energy cost than T5 lighting. do you find the corals really grow under the LED light or are you perhaps purposely slowing them down on that side? it is pretty close quarters in there, after all, and you mentioned that you started with MH... do you move the lights periodically so both sides get some of each?

thanx for sharing your tank with us! :D
Very nice observation! I agree with you that the clams can be the key to keep the water clean. All the credit to Nano for his amazing tank.
Can't wait to start my own!

Beautiful tank. Maybe 10 yrs from now I'll be at your level. Any chance you can post some tutorials on the DIY LED's?

I am with you!... No one can come up with a consensus on what equipment is needed or what you have to do. I am trying to start a new tank and was prepared to buy a UV sterilizer, Ozonier, Carbon, GFO, and Calcium reactor... Now Im told that UV sterilizers can make the water "too clean" and may weaken the immune system of the animals later. And if I use Ozone, I don't need Carbon OR GFO. UGH! I don't know what to buy! Plus I have read and read and I am about to order and catch BRS.com's 10X sale and they are out of every major item or don't carry what I want yet. ... Vertex SR360 LEDs that just came out last week, The calcium reactor Vertex RX-6 Duo, The Reefkeeper Net (which is now backordered from the manufacturer. BSR ran out FRIDAY!), and the 25' water changer.. SMH! sigh..

Back