Tank Of The Month - March 2009

Reef bum, I just re did my 300gallon tank just like yours. I really like your set that I tore down my tank and Ijust finished last night cleaning and shampooing my Bar area where the tank is located. My fishes are able to swim more and the water is crazy. My only problem is that sometimes when fishes swim to some spots it create a little sand storm. does these things get better eventually?

Many thanks cward, Blueflu1.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14618409#post14618409 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reedrodz
Reef bum, I just re did my 300gallon tank just like yours. I really like your set that I tore down my tank and Ijust finished last night cleaning and shampooing my Bar area where the tank is located. My fishes are able to swim more and the water is crazy. My only problem is that sometimes when fishes swim to some spots it create a little sand storm. does these things get better eventually?
I did get some sand storms in the beginning so it did take a few weeks for me to figure things out with my flow. You may want to tinker with the positioning of your pumps.

ReefBum, you have one of my favourite tanks - I also have a 225 gallon reef, but I am having problems with my MTC ProCal. The flow rate is never consistent (always drops over 24 hours). What feed pump do you use, and what flow rate/bubble count are you using? I am using: mag2 pump, 70mL/min, ~1bps, large grain ARM. The reactor and media are always full of bubbles. Reactor pressure is 3psi.

Thanks

Reef Bum, will it be possible to get some pics of the return going into the tank, where did you drill for the anti siphon hole?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14612540#post14612540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chatyak
I love the overflows built into the back of the tank. I want that on my next tank.

Can you tell me, where did you order this from?

Edit: I found it was Aquarium Obsessed.

So I guess I shall ask, how much do they charge for a tank of this size?

bump..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14620018#post14620018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefBum
Many thanks cward, Blueflu1.

I did get some sand storms in the beginning so it did take a few weeks for me to figure things out with my flow. You may want to tinker with the positioning of your pumps.

Ok I'll do that tomorrow if it doesnt settle down. Ireally love this open set up. I cant believe I was stuck with that rock piling before. This set up just makes everything better. :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14625223#post14625223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by n9gux
Gorgeous tank! Congrats!
Many thanks n9gux.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14623762#post14623762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefTank1
ReefBum, you have one of my favourite tanks - I also have a 225 gallon reef, but I am having problems with my MTC ProCal. The flow rate is never consistent (always drops over 24 hours). What feed pump do you use, and what flow rate/bubble count are you using? I am using: mag2 pump, 70mL/min, ~1bps, large grain ARM. The reactor and media are always full of bubbles. Reactor pressure is 3psi.

Thanks
Thanks ReefTank1. My ProCal is fed by a small Blueline pump that came with the unit. I had problems with a consistent flow/bubble rate as well for a while. I was able to fix it by switching from small grain to large grain CaribSea ARM media and getting rid of a magnesium supplement I had in the second chamber. I also upped my bubble count to around 90 bubbles a minute. My reactor pressure is about the same as yours and around 9 psi in the C02 tank. Is the pressure higher in your C02 tank vs. the chamber? If not, then this might be part of the problem or perhaps there is something clogging one of the lines.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14624883#post14624883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ddier2020
Reef Bum, will it be possible to get some pics of the return going into the tank, where did you drill for the anti siphon hole?

Thanks
This is the best shot I have at this point. Both returns are positioned a couple of inches under the water and I have no anti siphon holes. I never believed in doing that since I'm afraid of them clogging.

mijan2409ad.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14625302#post14625302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chingchai
Keith. If you don't mind, I'd love to see some clip video of your tank.
Thanks.
My apologies Ching but I don't have any video. I have been playing around with adding a web cam so I might have that down the road.

I really like the color of your SPS. Besides your lighting and good water parameter, how do you bring out the bright color of your coral? You mentioned using Roti Feast and Oyster Feast. Where did you get them? Do they help to enhance the color?

beautiful tank. One of the best ive ever seen, I believe my dads seen your tank when he got some frags from you. Im sure that we will definitely be interesting in buying some frags off you again once we get our tank 100% ready for challenging corals, we are at around 85% in my opinion

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14630396#post14630396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kangym
I really like the color of your SPS. Besides your lighting and good water parameter, how do you bring out the bright color of your coral? You mentioned using Roti Feast and Oyster Feast. Where did you get them? Do they help to enhance the color?
Many thanks kangym. Stability of water parameters is a big key for me as well as the Radiums. As for the Roti Feast and Oyster Feast, I ordered them online at the Reef Nutrition website. You can also pick them up at some LFS.

For the past month or so, I have stopped adding the Amino Acids and only used the Roti and Osyster Feast to feed the corals. I do believe my colors for a number of corals have improved so I'm going to stick with this for the time being.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14630721#post14630721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by salmonslayer
Nice job. Beautiful setup and live stock.
Thanks salmonslayer!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14632947#post14632947 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubbles129129
beautiful tank. One of the best ive ever seen, I believe my dads seen your tank when he got some frags from you. Im sure that we will definitely be interesting in buying some frags off you again once we get our tank 100% ready for challenging corals, we are at around 85% in my opinion
Thanks bubbles129129. Stop by when you are ready. I have a lot of trimming to do :D

Awesome tank, I did the aquascaping in my new 180 very similar a couple months ago. My question is exactly where do you have your tunze powerheads and how are they positioned? It is hard to see in the picture, but it looks like one on each side panel towards the back and pointing straight across the tank at each other.

Back