Tank of the Month - May 2007

amazing tank.. been admiring your gorgeous coral pics in the sps thread, great to get more info on your setup. particularly like your pegging and sepa stick-on tab ideas.. :D

Hy Dave,

very, very beautyful tank. Congratulation!!!

You said, you dont make that much of water changes in your system, do you use any trace elements like jodide, iron etc.?
How about aminos, coral food ?

Best regards from Germany:wavehand:

Jochen

Thanks again everyone.

Not only did you see it - you helped move it around the corner and down the stairs and into my basement without a scratch! Thanks again, and the store is really coming along.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9920357#post9920357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryan_lalande
Congrats Dave you are definitally one of the top reefers around.

I am glad I had to opportunity to view this tank in person.

Thanks Mucho Reef - I always follow your thread in the Zoa forum. Would love to see your tanks someday.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9921236#post9921236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF
Awesome display my friend, simply awesome.

Mucho Reef

Hello Germany, and thanks! As noted, no supplements are added, no iodine, iron or aminos. I do add Cyclopeeze and Golden Pearls. The GP make my SPS go insane - one of my best mille's actually freaks out and gets really weird looking when I add it (in a good way at least I hope!)

I should note that I will be doing a water change this week. 50 gallons. Think this is the second one in 2+ years. Also, I stopped using my Kalc reactor recently as my dkh was getting a too high and I noticed bleaching in several digitata's, one encrusting monti and one acro.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9933975#post9933975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jochen
Hy Dave,

very, very beautyful tank. Congratulation!!!

You said, you dont make that much of water changes in your system, do you use any trace elements like jodide, iron etc.?
How about aminos, coral food ?

Best regards from Germany:wavehand:

Jochen

My my my...! It's unbelievable how mature & Gorgeous your tank looks after three moves! Your tank is nicer than a lot I've seen at zoos & the like... I would Love to see it in person...!!!!

I went through 3, & after my third tank move.. I took a break from the hobby. It makes me a little sad even looking at my empty 75 gallon... Someday though.. right?

WOW... Simply AWSOME. Any words of advise to a new-reefer just about to pull the trigger... 180-220gl, Starfire glass ect..
An absolutley wonderful job and VERY professional.
Thanks for the peak.

Best thing I could recommend is to go and see a couple tanks of similar size before you deside on a design. Understand what features you want, and how you want to be able to view the tank becaase once the holes are drilled this essentially dictates how the tank will be viewed for the tanks lifespan.

Also get an RO/DI unit before you put water in the tank :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9973661#post9973661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CamoCreatures
WOW... Simply AWSOME. Any words of advise to a new-reefer just about to pull the trigger... 180-220gl, Starfire glass ect..
An absolutley wonderful job and VERY professional.
Thanks for the peak.

Wow 250G every time i come back and look, your tank just looks awesome! as for the Sera (see Below), on your advice i went ahead and ordered some and my Tang, Antheias, Goby and clown thank you for it! they all love it and it is so easy to feed and lasts a good while without breaking up - highly recommend to others.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9900481#post9900481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 250G
I buy them at MOPS (in Canada, close to the US border). Sera ones are the best - very rugged (ie. they do not fall apart like others) and the fish can not knock them off the glass.

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/fo/FOSR-13232.asp?L+scstore+fjfc8909ff8a5f8a+1178649051

BB in the fuge, just rock in there for the macro to grow onto. Substrate in the sump just makes it tougher to clean (although my micron bags keep it pretty fre of detritus). The sand stays clean by itself really, however I do have a sand sifting starfish, and some nassarius snails.

A great product, and a reason they cost more than the others. A great way to display your fish when you have company without making a mess of the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9987193#post9987193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomstick
Wow 250G every time i come back and look, your tank just looks awesome! as for the Sera (see Below), on your advice i went ahead and ordered some and my Tang, Antheias, Goby and clown thank you for it! they all love it and it is so easy to feed and lasts a good while without breaking up - highly recommend to others.

During my "early" days I was always frustrated with micro-bubbles. I since learned that the micron bags were the solution to that problem. I also wanted to draw quite a bit of water through the sump, estimated at 2000GP through a 4' sump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10004238#post10004238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoCube-boy
awesome tank man. Why do you have seven baffle in the fuge?

Another amazing tank raising the bar for the rest of us. Besides the main tank, the whole fish room is immaculate and well laid out. This is much deserved recognition!! Congrats!!

Just amazing!!!! Definitely, one of my favorite tanks. Not only is the tank gorgeous, but your tank maintenance efficiency is fantastic!! Keep up the good work and keep everyone updated!!!!

your tank

your tank

wow, knocked my sox off. love the way you made a little island with the rock , looks more natural reef looking
I am in Toronto too, not far from NAFB , ever out this way?
Just got back from 2 weeks in ALaska vacation and my 180 reef tank is out of order. My mh not coming on, wonder if the ballast is blown because current certaintly to it. wonder if you ever considered the hqi pendants?
Further I know Jensen if a big fan of feeding acros oyster eggs I think, have you tried this?
I am using Hammertone I got from Mitch where can I find Luminare reflectors locally?
I too have the Gen x 100, I got it off Flavio as well.
I am sure there is a line up but would love to see it or have you over, I am a Nikon man, would have fun shooting this tank. Steve. now where's my sox.

Back