Tank of the Month - May 2007

TOTM near Disaster!

TOTM near Disaster!

Had an electrical "issue", had to replace the outside meter panel. Photos tomorrow - thank got that is over!

beautiful tank... I see that you are a wealthy man. I do alright, but I could never afford that set up. I love it keep up the great work.

i notice you said your tank is only about 6 months old, have you vacuumed your sand at all? and do you only have one sand shifting starfish? did you transfer your sandbed when you went to your current tank or did you use new sand? on your older tanks, how long did you go without completing water changes?
it's pretty amazing that you add no supplements and go so long without water changes.

Well I would not say wealthy by any means! I knew I wanted a big tank, small house (1400 sq. ft. bungalow becuase I can not afford a bigger one!),and found a old house (big backyard) with an unfinished basement.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9906230#post9906230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danoreef
beautiful tank... I see that you are a wealthy man. I do alright, but I could never afford that set up. I love it keep up the great work.

I do not vacuum the sand as the flow keeps most debris from settling. I did transfer the livesand from my old tank into the new tank, my tank had a brief "cycle" from replacing the sand. Did not do water changes too ofen on my 150 as well, maybe, maybe one in the 10 months I had it before the indicident. Only supplements come from my calcium reactor media!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9906432#post9906432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefsahoy
i notice you said your tank is only about 6 months old, have you vacuumed your sand at all? and do you only have one sand shifting starfish? did you transfer your sandbed when you went to your current tank or did you use new sand? on your older tanks, how long did you go without completing water changes?
it's pretty amazing that you add no supplements and go so long without water changes.

how many of those tablets do you feed a day? and how do they stick to the glass? I have a naso tang/whale that is a veracious eater

I generally feed one a day - they last a long time. No tang can knock them off - just held on by suction, just a little convex perhaps, never really look that close. They perform well though :)

Electrical Meltdown

Electrical Meltdown

Look at this!

Follow the thread in the SPS forum for more details (as the SPS kind tend to use a lot more electricity than other reefs...i guess...)
Happened last night - May 8, 2007

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1117191

panel.jpg

Awesome Tank! Gives me something to aspire to!
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9899913#post9899913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmsurfr22
The Seraâ"žÂ¢ Spirulina stick-on tablets that you feed your tangs, where do you get them from?

Also try here, http://www.sera.de/index.php?id=692&L=1

This is the manufacturers website, I didn't have any luck at the closest LFS to me but maybe someone will - i suggest using the biggest city near you as your search option.

Also, here is another kind i found here in the US - anyone have any experience with this?
Azoo 9 in 1

Beautiful tank, congratulations on TOTM. Glad the electrical issue wasn't more serious. :)

I am also a becket lover, I wouldn't trade this type of skimmer for anything. I run mine a little different than you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cS-U1cmvxzI

I love it this way because the skimmers' bubbles stay very clean. The only maintenance is a weekly wiping down on the walls of the collection cup.

Do you have an auto shut off collection cup?

Thanks. I also skim wet - because of the high pressure pump I need to keep my level a litle lower. I use a PCX-100 on the skimmer.

I do use the auto-shut-off collection cup that came with the skimmer - a great tool!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9912791#post9912791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NoSchwag
Beautiful tank, congratulations on TOTM. Glad the electrical issue wasn't more serious. :)

I am also a becket lover, I wouldn't trade this type of skimmer for anything. I run mine a little different than you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cS-U1cmvxzI

I love it this way because the skimmers' bubbles stay very clean. The only maintenance is a weekly wiping down on the walls of the collection cup.

Do you have an auto shut off collection cup?

Back