Tank of the Month - October '06

Well, your FTS has now replaced one of Steve West's macros for the desktop on my laptop. Kip still has the desktop on my desktop macheen, and Joefish has the computer at work.

Great tank!
Whiskey

That tank is awesome. I specifically enjoy how you have integrated all four possible filtration/export tools in to your setup (a) sump, (b) refugium, (c) deep sand bed, and (d) gargantuan skimmer.

Very very nice. And yeah, you pretty much are addicted to "gadgets". :rollface:

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what are your power backup setups? With a project of this magnitude, any redundance, DR, and back-up? Thank you again for sharing such a marvelous work!

Cward,

Congratulations. Your tank really makes the difference.
I wonder why didn´t you put your DSB in the refugium ? Only for extra volume of water or for any other specific reason ?

Great looking setup! how long have you had the copperband and what are some of the secrets of success for keeping one?

Chris was called out of town and wont be able to answer any questions for a few days.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8311657#post8311657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Joao Monteiro
Cward,

I wonder why didn´t you put your DSB in the refugium ? Only for extra volume of water or for any other specific reason ?

I have a bunch of LR in the refugium that I didn't want on top of the DSB. Also, I believe that the Chaeto would have blocked flow to the sand bed, which might cause the DSB to turn necrotic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8311821#post8311821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2turtles
Do you keep all those pumps running 24/7 or do you scale back at night?

I keep them running 24/7.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8315053#post8315053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gooliver
Great looking setup! how long have you had the copperband and what are some of the secrets of success for keeping one?

I've only had the copperband for about six months, and this was a fish that had been in captivity for a while, so I knew that it was eating frozen foods. Every fish that I have (excluding the mandarin) will eat about anything I put into the tank, so I really try to feed them what the butterfly will eat.

archie1709, I really don't have a back up power system at the moment, but that is something that is in the works. I do have a generator at work that I have access to if the power ever does go out for a long time. In the past I've just used battery powered air pumps, but they really wouldn't help me if the power went out for a whole day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8338657#post8338657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
I have a bunch of LR in the refugium that I didn't want on top of the DSB. Also, I believe that the Chaeto would have blocked flow to the sand bed, which might cause the DSB to turn necrotic.

That certainly is food for thought. I have a RDSB/refugium and it went whacko last month. I also have rock in there and the chaeto is acting a lot like floss. I'll have to re-think my design.

I really would like to be in your shoes with this tank. So beautifull and tasty in terms of aesthetics. You must have a lot of sensivity.

One question aside - ho do you exactly know which amount of water did you drained from the sump during changes?

Back