Tank of the Month - September 2007

Hey guys,

I decided to change things up a bit and put on 5 new Lumen Brite reflectors over the reef. Supposedly these reflectors are 15% more efficient than the Lumen Arc reflectors you have seen in the TOTM article. Visually the tank definitely appears brighter and areas before these reflectors that were dim are now lit up. I really like the concept of increasing the bends in the reflector to maximize the angles of light reflection.

I am planning on purchasing a light meter and really putting these new reflectors to the test against one of the Lumenarcs. I probably will post the results in the lighting and filtration forum. I may put a link here to the thread when it comes out most likely in the next couple weeks.
Mike...........

Mike / Fernando !

I have to change my M. Halides 10K Ushio and would like to change to Reeflux bulbs where I can buy these M. halides ?
I have purchase most of aquarium products via on line is more cheaper and in Panama the stores do not keep a large inventory.
thanks.

Regards

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10879253#post10879253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubbletip2
Hey stg,

I beleive Premium Aquatics offers this skimmer. Where are you from? I know here in Chicago, regular ground fom Premium is 1 day delivery.

Thanks for the info, bubbletip2. Unfortunately, i am far away in singapore. that's why i need to find out from the manufacturer if they have any dealers in my area. anyway, i already managed to contact Reeflo, so thanks all the same.

Mike, Love your tank. I have the opportunity to buy a White-Freckled Tang. I noticed you have one. I can't find much information on this fish. I already have a sailfin, yellow, naso and hipo tang in my 300 gal reef. What is your experience with this fish? Would you recommend it for a reef tank?
Thanks,
Shane

Wanted to ask you a lighting question.

Wanted to ask you a lighting question.

First of all. I've been going through all the TOTM's and checking out the lighting setups, and coral coloration. You have the best color and growth I've seen. There are some other people who have great growth and good color but I think you have the best combination. And it does seem you are very knowledgable about lighting after reading your TOTM article. SO.. I wanted to ask you some questions.

I have a 90 G that is.. 24" inches deep, 48" wide... with an HQI fixture about 6" inches above that. I have a Coralife fixture now with 2 HQI 150W 10K, and 2 Actinics 03-Blue 96W.

My needs. I have softs, LPS, and clams.. but also want to get into SPS now. So I'm probably in the upper range of needs.. 7-10 W/gal. Damn.. that means I have to get new ballasts now b/c my fixture is using 150W HQI's now if I go up to 250 or 400W. I'm reading stuff all over and I'm reading a diff. opinion everywhere I go. Some say 150W for a 24" deep tank, some say 250. Some say 400W b/c of the type of corals and the size/width of the tank, but didn't mention anything about depth.

Same with Kelvin. Diff. stuff all over. I'm reading 10K is a good natural white light. Best for growth too. 20K is bluer but not as good for growth.. but that's what they use at the Diver's Den. I noticed a lot of places I see frag tanks at they have really blue lights on.. probably 400W 20K. I kinda wish my tank had more color too. I think it's too white. But I don't want to destroy growth either. But I do have the Actinics already too. Don't want it to look totally blue. 20K from what I'm reading isn't good for growth, and maybe too blue.

SCIFI_3D_zoo: I would suggest to get 2 LumenBright Minis with 12k 250w reeflux bulbs powered by coralvue electronic balasts. I have found these to be a great if not best lighting combo to date. I have a 90gal and this is what I would recommend. I am sure Mike would suggest the same. Give him a call. 773-851-3861

awesome tank,i have a question,if you got ich on a fish in that tank,what would you do?i guess you couldnt qt and treat all the fish? im just curious,and again trully amazing tank!!!

genzod66, it depends on the fish. For most fish, ich can be treated by reducing stress, ensuring good water quality, providing adequate feedings, and many support adding garlic to foods. If a fish is not responding to this than it may need to be placed into a quarantine tank for additional treatment if necessary, such as copper or hyposalinity.

Dear members !

I want to wish you all A PROSPEROUS AND HEALTHY 2008 !! and hoping that I can get more varieties of corals specially SPS types in Panama.

All the Best
Fernando Chang
Panama

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10883989#post10883989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acropora nut
Hey guys,

I decided to change things up a bit and put on 5 new Lumen Brite reflectors over the reef. Supposedly these reflectors are 15% more efficient than the Lumen Arc reflectors you have seen in the TOTM article. Visually the tank definitely appears brighter and areas before these reflectors that were dim are now lit up. I really like the concept of increasing the bends in the reflector to maximize the angles of light reflection.

I am planning on purchasing a light meter and really putting these new reflectors to the test against one of the Lumenarcs. I probably will post the results in the lighting and filtration forum. I may put a link here to the thread when it comes out most likely in the next couple weeks.
Mike...........

Hello Mike, once again congratulations !!

how about the plans of testing reflectors ? Any progress ?

best

Marcello Salles
Rio de Janeiro
Brazil

Mike what a beautiful tank you have. I wish i had the money to buy one of these big tanks. Maybe later in life. But i love all your fish and corals. Love all the tangs. But i have a ? how many tangs do you think can go in a 100 without a problem?

Awesome tank Mike!!!
I have a question about one of the pictures that you have posted on the "Tank of the Month" page. There is a picture of a Percula Clown fish which looks as if it has form a relationship with what looks to me like a Galaxy coral. Is that true?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but do you do DSB/SSB/ or BB? Beautiful System! Maybe you'll get TOTM again like Weatherson did!

Back