Tank raised pipfish

kjdeut

Are all pipefish wild caught, or are there some tank rasied ones out there somewhere?
I wouldlove to add pipfish to my tank but Im not to thrilled about added wild caught ones and risking not getting them to eat frozen or infecting my horses with something.

Ken

Hmm

Hmm

Aquaculture of fish is very expensive and labor intensive. Since pipes are not a highly popular species like clowns or sea horses, it has not been done on a large scale to sell to the general public that I am aware of. So you are stuck with that quarndry, to add WC or not. I prefer pipes to sea horses actually, but thats just me heheh.

Hmm

Hmm

Aquaculture of fish is very expensive and labor intensive. Since pipes are not a highly popular species like clowns or sea horses, it has not been done on a large scale to sell to the general public that I am aware of. So you are stuck with that quardry, to add WC or not. I prefer pipes to sea horses actually, but thats just me heheh.

I think they had a source for CB blue stripes in the UK a couple months ago, but other than those I have never heard of CB pipes. You might want to ask around on the seahorse/syngnathid forums as well.

>Sarah

Oh wait, I think I remember reading something about this a few years ago, dont they breed the multi-barred pipefish? I dont think I have heard anything since though.

I don't know all the species available or being worked with but Doryrhamphus janssi and Dunckerocampus dactyliophourus are being bred successfully. Fully trained onto frozen.

Dan

Thats great, but I am surprised. Pipefish are a very low demand species, except maybe to the Asian med trade(frikken barbarians). Unless they are doing alot of different fish besides pipes, sea dragons for example, or are primarily a research center. which sells stuff on the side, I wonder how they would stay in business.
Off subject but what kind of sea horses do you breed, DanU, just the standard kudas and erectuses(can you tell I dont deal with horses much?) or any of the more exotic kinds? Trying to locate Zebra seahorses. I enjoy hunting down hard to find species heheh.

Back