Tanks at LFS or online

Ninja1

Hey peeps! So I'm on a quest to find the right tank. Do you guys know of any good LFS that might have 75 or 90 gallon RR tanks. It seems like most have to be ordered.

I built my stand and have decided on the equipment as well. I would rather not order the tank Bc of shipping. Plus, this way I can check out some LFS that you guys can think of.

I have an undrilled 75 glass tank. If it's not tempered, I can drill it for you as well. The hole would be on the back glass in a location of your choice. Again, I don't know if it's tempered or not so I'll have to let you know on that.

Tank-$80
Tank drilled-100

I have an undrilled 75 glass tank. If it's not tempered, I can drill it for you as well. The hole would be on the back glass in a location of your choice. Again, I don't know if it's tempered or not so I'll have to let you know on that.

Tank-$80
Tank drilled-100

great deal!

imo RR tanks are a waste of money. Even if you don't feel comfortable drilling the glass, a lfs could do it for you and you'd still save a lot. RR tanks also aren't drilled for a beananimal setup, which I'd prefer for many reasons.

From what I have learned in my ~2 short years in this hobby is that the RR tanks (unless its extremely large) are pretty annoying... internal overflows take up a lot of room (unless you have it custom built smaller or put a very nice external overflow).

Drilling the back glass is one of the best options because it gives you a lot of room for rock work and still lets you use a sump. If you're concerned with the aesthetics of it just spray paint the white PVC elbows for the drain & return and it'll blend in quite nicely.

Just don't make the same I did and make sure you choose a background that you want before drilling and setting up the tank... :(

Still thinking about what to do with mine.. maybe I'll just paint it black... lol.

LOL, that really is a awesome deal. Im thinking about 90g- uhhhh decisions!

The thing is the the LFS aren't telling me which overflow they would use. If it comes pre-installed, should I ask for a certain overflow.

Pretty much any major brand (Aqueon, Oceanic, Deep Blue, etc.) all have INTERNAL overflows, so they end up reducing the amount of room have to lay out your rockwork & corals.

Only way to get an EXTERNAL overflow (as far as I know) is to have a custom tank built.

As stated before.. there is always the option of drilling... it sounded like a big deal to me when I first heard about it, but when I got the glass cutting drill bit... watched a few videos on Youtube on the basic procedure... it was a piece of cake.

Plus its cheaper to drill (most of the time).. for some reason just because a tank has the words "Reef-Ready" in the title... they seem to jack up the price.. in an unjustified way.

Haha very true! I looked at two tanks today that would look good on my DIY stand but laughed at the holes. The RR tank was a lot more Bc. Of the holes and overflow. I think for my first tank, I'll go with something standard. I would really hate to crack the glass or something.

The LFS sells packages but I didn't like the other things in the package lol. I wish you could just go to one place for it all.

Yea definitely drill the back glass..much better option it's also quieter. The internal over flows do take up a lot of space especially if it's in the middle of the tank.

Then go for the RR. Personally I'd try to go with one that has a corner overflow, so it doesn't get in your way.

You can always look around for a good used tank.... believe it or not... not all people are animals with their tanks... lol. Some reefers try to keep things as close to immaculate as possible.

Then go for the RR. Personally I'd try to go with one that has a corner overflow, so it doesn't get in your way.

You can always look around for a good used tank.... believe it or not... not all people are animals with their tanks... lol. Some reefers try to keep things as close to immaculate as possible.

RR is cool for its plug and properties but like stan said the overflows do get in the way. i guess for a first tank it will be good, however by the time ur ready to upgrade you'll see ull want to stat away from them because of the space take up. notice that very few of the awesome TOTM winners have RR, the usually do expternal overflows, corner overflows or they do the coast to coast system (what i would like to do when i upgrade) for the small amount of space these styles use.

What the heck is "coast to coast," sounds cool! Lol, I guess Ill look for corner overflows but Im not exactly sure how a external overflow works. Lets say if I get a RR, can I use a external overflow or that doesnt make sense. Apologies for the newbie questions!

What the heck is "coast to coast," sounds cool! Lol, I guess Ill look for corner overflows but Im not exactly sure how a external overflow works. Lets say if I get a RR, can I use a external overflow or that doesnt make sense. Apologies for the newbie questions!

this is an RR tank; the black column IS the overflow, it simple since its all pre-made making it a plug and play set up.
3552d1253452895-brians-75-gallon-dscn0051.jpg

this is an tank with an external overflow; the back wall its completely undisturbed allowing for more usable space. benefits are, better circulation in the tank, as well as easier to aqua-scape.
21x21x17_fuge.jpg

a coast to coast (aka "beananimal" overflow in honor of its maker) overflow can be internal or external, what makes it special is that it spans the length of the tank, thus the name coast to coast. Its more efficient since it skims the entire length of the tank rather than just in one section, this in turn makes your filtration more effective. :reading: read more HERE

hope this helps.

Back