Tap water for fish-only tank?

plancton

Hello, I'm planning to set up 75 gal fish only tank. I have plenty of experience with reef tanks but I want to keep costs at the low now.

For that reason I'm planning of using tap water removing chlorine. I'm sure the probably fosfates and silicates will be high but I'm only planning to keep Dry rock and natural sand from the beach as well as fish.

For lighting, I'm planning to use something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-30-40-50...hash=item542c6404a2:m:mtRFblM_fiTErusNeSF3PYw

It is only for the fish's colors to pop out, the lamp is dirty cheap and has 5 watts maximum, that means this light is not very intense and that's a good thing because since I want to use tap water then I wouldn't want to have algae problems.

Can I keep healthy fish and algae-free like this?

Being that a lot of people have set up and maintained beautiful reef tanks for years on end with the use of tap water it's definitely possible. Having a light such as that will definitely help keep the algae to a minimum too IMO. Good luck!

Dechlorinated tap water can work if you're looking for the lowest maintenance. How reliable is your water source? Were you ever able to use it on your reefs?

Dechlorinated tap water can work if you're looking for the lowest maintenance. How reliable is your water source? Were you ever able to use it on your reefs?

Hello, no, I'm in another location now and I never used tap water for my reef, I did have a planted aquarium once and tried tap water and it was impossible because it would generate lots of algae, but of course, the difference was that I was using intense lighting for the plants, and yes, that was the main problem with using tap water but other than that I don't see how it could affect as long as I use low intensity lights.

It depends on your local water, it would be a disaster for me to use our tap water, which is high in a lot of undesirable elements and has nitrates that average over 30ppm. Does your local municipality provide you with a detailed water quality annalisis? Honestly I would spend the money on an RO/DI unit and make quality water, you are risking a lot of problems down the road using tap water.

I'm not sure I would use tap water for a reef tank, but for a FO tank without the intense lighting I would definitely give it a shot.

I used tap water for several years successfully, even with easy corals. That said, I know what is in my well water. If you are drinking and bathing in this water, you have a responsibility to your own health to know what is in it. Municipal water suppliers should make is available, at least in the US. I'm not sure about Mexico.

I know that the only substance in my well water that is a concern is silicates, and very low pH. I do a lot more than the basic county- recommended water testing ( I can do most of those tests myself except coliforms). I get a comprehensive test (about 4 pages of results) for dozens of contaminants about every 5 years. Yes, I costs several hundred dollars, but its worth it to me.

Back