TDS problems

Tang-itis

I tested the TDS from water in my tank and its about 630. Directly from the RO/DI(typhoon III) I get 6.

I have used base rock I had left over, some crushed coral, and some quickrete sand. Probably around 40 pounds.

Could it be the sand that is causing the high TDS or could it possibly be the glue from the plumbing? I am in the process of doing a water change to see if it will lower the TDS some.

The water was crystal clear until I turned on the pumps after the tank was filled.

I'll let you know how the water change comes out.

I'm lost, what is the question?
Getting 6 from an AWI is a bit high.
Did you run 20 or so gallons through it first when you got it? Or does the DI need to be changed?

~Steve~

Sorry, the unit is about a week old. I did run it for an hour or so straight into the drain. Maybe not 20 gallons probably closer to 5.

I am now getting 6 TDS from the unit.

When I test the water in my tank I get somewhere around 630.

Something in my tank is making it go up to this rediculous number.

I am trying to figure out what it could be.

BTW, I have not added any salt yet.

i dont think you can measure tds in a tank that you have sand and rock in and use that # to tell you anything worth knowing.please correct me if i am wrong

I guess thats a good point. It was just getting so cloudy. I turned off the pumps for a day and this film formed ontop of the water.

I guess that's what got me wondering more than anything. Maybe I didn't think my question all the way through before I asked it.

ah the TDS in a saltwater tank will be extremely high because...... Everything in salt water is TDS! Salt, Calcium, Potassium, etc, ALL of it will show up as TDS. It's only the TDS of the RO/DI water going in that is tested for / matters.

PW

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8043887#post8043887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PrangeWay
ah the TDS in a saltwater tank will be extremely high because...... Everything in salt water is TDS! Salt, Calcium, Potassium, etc, ALL of it will show up as TDS. It's only the TDS of the RO/DI water going in that is tested for / matters.

PW

Good point. It was just in my mind that since I hadn't added salt or anything alive(rock/live sand/animals) I shouldn't have a change in my TDS.

I guess that solves my "problem." I guess I'll run one of the hang-on filters I've got for a couple days to see if I can clear it up.

Thanks

its completely normal for the water to get a little cloudy when you first start up. however if your TDS is 6ppm after the RO/DI i would take a look at that. it should be at 0ppm.

also we have started a reef club in greensboro if your interrested PM me, we had our first meeting last saturday.

Ignore the TDS reading from the tank....as others have stated.

As for the RO/DI output of 6, that number would be reasonable coming out of the RO stage. Double check your connections and make sure you're aren't using water from the DI bypass. This would be post-RO water, but before it goes through the DI.

The DI resin should take the water down to 0, unless it's been used up already. I strongly recommend hooking a dual inline TDS meter to measure post-RO and post-DI TDS levels. That way you can tell at a glance how well the RO is functioning, and easily see when the DI resin needs replacing.

One other thought....are you using a final stage carbon filter after the RO/DI? (Some people use this to improve "taste" if they're using a storage tank for drinking water) If so, that could be another source of TDS in the output.

Back