Tempered Glass

MGarvo

I believe this topic must be among the most contradicted topics on this forum. Unfortunately, it is one which requires a solid "yes" or "no" answer.

Here we go,...

I purchased an undrilled 40 G Breeder to use as a sump for my 120 DT. In my wisdom, I had assumed that my external Pan World 50PX-X would simply sit above my sump and suck water up, and then pump it into my DT. Fortunately, my researching stumbled upon the error in this theory BEFORE my initial fill.

So, I have strongly considered placing the pump just below the H2O line and rely on a siphon via my flexible PVC tubing. Provided I can get the initial prime of the tubing, I am confident this will work, at least, for a while. My most recent ruminating began when I encountered posts suggesting that air cavitation could develop and break the siphon, leading to eventual pump failure if the problem were not discovered in time.

I desperately want to get this right the first time. I believe the only solution gauranteed to work is drilling the side of the sump, and this is where I am stuck.

I have searched long and hard, and come up with very little. Some say the Aqueon 40 G Breeder is "absolutely not" tempered glass. The little orange sticker on the bottom of mine disagrees. I am hoping (and beginning to suspect) that only the bottom of the Breeder is tempered, leaving the sides as fair game for drilling.

I have scoured the Aqueon website and found that the bottom of the 40 Breeder is tempered glass. I can not find, however, anything that suggests that the sides are or are not tempered.

Please, please, please,... help!

Bottom is tempered... Sides are NOT..
Typical aquarium pumps essentially "push" water.. not "pull"

Not sure where the contradiction is - glass is either tempered and cannot be drilled, or is not tempered and can be drilled.

As Mcgyvr said, a typical 40 breeder (and most tanks, for that matter) are tempered on the bottom but not on the sides. Whether your tank is typical or not, I can't say. I doubt you'll find the info on the maker's website.

You can usually tell if glass is tempered or not by using a LCD laptop screen and a pair of polarized sunglasses - check this on the bottom of your tank and compare with the sides. I've heard of a few failures using this technique, though. No idea if it was the technique itself or the person performing it.

Sleepydoc... I know where I'd place my money! :cool:

I normally use two polarized camera filters out in the sunlight, but the screen trick works too. It's best to double check a know tempered piece of glass to master the process first, but I've never seen it fail.

Last edited:
Roger that! Thanks all! I suspected that the sides might be safe to drill. I'll provide pics in the near future (successful or not).

go to the website and it will tell you which are tempered and which are not. I have the 40 breeder and checked it on their site and only the bottom is tempered so I drilled the tank.

I have the exact same 40b Aqueon tank. Talked with their customer service. The lady I spoke with was very knowledgeable
My tank's sides could be drilled. That was 2 years ago, things change, just call them up and give them your serial number. The number is on a label on the bottom.

RJA

Old tank , tempered bottom, 1/4" gap

Old tank , tempered bottom, 1/4" gap

I bought a 125 gallon tank off craigslist. It's a 60" 26tall. Says tempered bottom, my question is. When I stripped off inside silicone to reseal. I noticed the bottom pane isn't attached to the sides. Is this normal. Should I be worried. I just added allot of silicone. Gonna water test on Wednesday

Recently drilled the side of my tank. Took it to a local glass shop who took all care but no resposibility. First thing I asked was how much a new pain of glass would cost to assess the risk. Had it drilled the next day for less than $30

Sometimes looking at worst case scenario allows you to make an informed decision when not all facts are known.

Back