Tentative Combination of Fishes

wsboyette

In my 60 gallon Fish-only, I am considering the following combination of fishes:

2 Maroon Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Flame Angel
2 Javanese (Blue Velvet) Damsel
1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Maybe)

Would you think the damsels might cause trouble, as they are known to get aggressive ? Or would Blue Damsels have less potential for trouble than the Javanese ? And is it advisable to have more than one Maroon Clown ?

i would probably go with one, or the other angel, but IMO 60 gallons isn't a great size for any angel due to the footprint of the tank.

flasher wrasse should be ok, but definitely get a lid.

damsel might cause issues in a tank that small, they can be aggressive.

Blue Velvets are a terror even singly. No, no, no, go back, kemo sabe, it's a trap.

The only rational, fairly decently behaved damsels in my experience are the little yellowtails or, with greater caution, the fiji blue.

I've heard many stories of aquarists afraid to do regular maintenance because of maroon clownfish biting attacks. I agree with MondoBongo on the angelfish - pick one.

I've heard many stories of aquarists afraid to do regular maintenance because of maroon clownfish biting attacks. I agree with MondoBongo on the angelfish - pick one.

Maroon clowns are very bold; I had one years ago that would eat right out of my hand, and if I stuck an empty hand in the tank he would peck at it (looking for some food).

Well, the first two specimens came home from the LFS today; two Maroon Clownfish.....

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My recommendation of clownfish is the ocellaris---bright pattern, lively, and mild-mannered toward other fishes. The maroons are larger, more defensive of territory, and nippy, which the ocellaris aren't.

My recommendation of clownfish is the ocellaris---bright pattern, lively, and mild-mannered toward other fishes. The maroons are larger, more defensive of territory, and nippy, which the ocellaris aren't.

Guess I've made my bed now though with the Maroons; it is my favorite clownfish. I had one years and years ago (1990s) for about 7 years, he was a beautiful specimen..... Used to eat food right out of my fingers.

Then you know them. ;) Remember they do get pushy when they mate. I've always admired them, but after two (allegedly milder-mannered) Clarkiis who bit me bloody (they have little square teeth) every time I worked in the tank, I decided a larger, naughtier clown was not for me. Seriously, they are gorgeous.

Back