Tern questions :)

Hadla

Mantis Whisperer
I'm looking at getting one from someone else and was wondering if it needs to have live coral to make its home? Or will it use rubble and rocks? Thanks :)

In the wild they are usually found living in branching live coral heads, but in the aquarium they will live in rubble.

Roy

I made mine a pseudo cave with the way I aquascaped, and he took rubble and shells and made it more to his liking. I had some SPS in the tank and some encrusting corals that were above and around his hole that eventually grew in quite well.

Not sure if he actively "stopped" the coral from spreading over or into his burrow, but it encrusted to a near perfect circle around the entrance and never went farther in even though light penetrated another half inch. You could also definitely hear him chipping away at pieces inside.

I made mine a pseudo cave with the way I aquascaped, and he took rubble and shells and made it more to his liking. I had some SPS in the tank and some encrusting corals that were above and around his hole that eventually grew in quite well.

Not sure if he actively "stopped" the coral from spreading over or into his burrow, but it encrusted to a near perfect circle around the entrance and never went farther in even though light penetrated another half inch. You could also definitely hear him chipping away at pieces inside.

That's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back