Test Kit Disposal Questions?

DeathWish302

Clown Hoarder
I have a few expired test kits that I need to dispose of. The local chemical collection is not until spring. Besides tossing them in the trash or down the drain what are my options? Oh, it's an alk & Ca test kit from API if that helps...

TIA

do you live near any high schools or colleges? They might have an answer for you..

I know of a few, but don't know there cirriculums (Not originally from the area). Guess I'll take them back home with me and drop them off at my alma mater....bet you can't guess where that is...

Most hobbyist kits are in small enough quantities that it doesn't matter too much - remember that most people dump the reacted tests down the drain anyway! There are two kits that I know of that are really bad though - Nessler's liquid reagent ammonia kits (contains mecrury) and the powder nitrate kit that uses cadmium.

I would run a search for an MSDS on the chemicals your kit contains and make a judgement from that. You have to balance the risk of storing the test chemicals until your next chemical disposal time (kids or pets getting into it, etc.) or just dumping it down the drain with the tap running.

Jay

Most hobbyist kits are in small enough quantities that it doesn't matter too much - remember that most people dump the reacted tests down the drain anyway! There are two kits that I know of that are really bad though - Nessler's liquid reagent ammonia kits (contains mecrury) and the powder nitrate kit that uses cadmium.

I would run a search for an MSDS on the chemicals your kit contains and make a judgement from that. You have to balance the risk of storing the test chemicals until your next chemical disposal time (kids or pets getting into it, etc.) or just dumping it down the drain with the tap running.

Jay

Forgot completely about MSDS. After reading the following, I think I'll give API a call since there not too far from me.

Section 12 - ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Prevent, by any means available, spillage from entering drains or water
courses.
DO NOT discharge into sewer or waterways.
Refer to data for ingredients, which follows:
SODIUM HYDROXIDE:
Toxicity Fish: LC50(96)43mg/L
Section 13 - DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
US EPA Waste Number & Descriptions
A. General Product Information
Corrosivity characteristic: use EPA hazardous waste number D002 (waste code C)
Disposal Instructions
All waste must be handled in accordance with local, state and federal
regulations.
- Recycle wherever possible.
- Consult manufacturer for recycling options or consult Waste Management
Authority for disposal if no suitable treatment or disposal facility can be
identified.
- Treat and neutralize at an approved treatment plant.
- Treatment should involve: Neutralization with suitable dilute acid followed
by: Burial in a licensed land-fill or Incineration in a licensed apparatus
(after admixture with suitable combustible material).
- Decontaminate empty containers. Observe all label safeguards until containers
are cleaned and destroyed.
Puncture containers to prevent re-use and bury at an authorized landfill.

Ya gotta love the bureaucracy of this! They say in the MSDS, that sodium hydroxide must not be discharged to drains - ummm, that compound is a major component of many drain cleaners, which are kind of difficult to use unless you pour them down a drain!

Jay

would it be help to at least highly dilute the product? mix it with a lot of water?

im wondering about the same thing bc i have an expired kit as well

would it be help to at least highly dilute the product? mix it with a lot of water?

im wondering about the same thing bc i have an expired kit as well

Diluted or not it's still ending up in the sewage treatment plant. If it's not specifically neutralized, it will likely still leech into the water table.

Jay has a point that we dump solutions after testing along with countless quantities of chemicals, soaps & other nasties down the drain. I'm just thinking a little preservation now will help alot later....

Back